1953 Packard Caribbean convertible

Ed Luddy

It looks to be a pretty nice car. That seems to be the most popular color I have seen around. They have either taken a beating in value, or that one looks far better in pictures than in person. 53 and 54 share the same body style, with the 54 most notably not having the rear wheel cutout. Then, completely different body shape for 55 and the last year, 56. Beautiful cars, my ultimate find would be an all black 56.

Edited by MyJetstar1 (see edit history)

The biggest difference between 53 & 54 besides the wheel cutouts is the engine.  The 54 has the big 9 main bearing 359 engine while the 53 has the 7 main 327.  The are indistinguishable to the eye and both have a 4 barrel carb but the 54 engine is better.   Also, production in 54 was about 1/2 of 53.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

The price totally depends on the condition.  If it is a nice driver with #2-3 level paint, interior and chrome then I would say not a bad deal.  A number 3 car is probably about 35-45k.   Needing lots of work, less.  We sold a solid drivable #4 car for 25k about 10 years ago and a decent #3 car for 30k a few years before that.