My 1964 Riviera

Mozzie

Hi Folks,

Here is my 1964 Riviera with deluxe interior optioned with cloth trim, seat belts and 4 way power seat.

My name is Marcus and I'm in Melbourne, Australia. I bought the car earlier this year from a fellow in Michigan USA and imported it to Australia. As you can see it needs a lot of work but as it spent most of it's life in Arizona it's got a really solid almost rust free body and is pretty much totally original. My plan is a ground up restoration to show quality with a stock almost concourse look.

The car hasn't been driven much in the last 5 years and most of the electrics don't work. Engine and trans are good though. At this point I'm having a garage built for it as my current one is too small. I'm also saving up so I can buy most of the parts I need (which is pretty much everything available) in one purchase (from multiple suppliers) and have it all shipped in one go as it's far cheaper that shipping stuff individually. Normally you'd do this after stripping and painting it but I don't want to be caught out years from now if they stop making something. I've already noticed you can't buy cloth trim anymore. You'll notice in the photos someone has replaced the cloth with vinyl.

I've already been stalking the Riviera section of this website for some time. Fantastic source of information and dedicated members.

In the past I've owned local Fords and Holdens (GM). I've also owned quite a few Jap turbo cars when I was younger (let's not talk about that). This is the first restoration I've taken on but I've always had an interest it older classics and American cars. There aren't many Rivieras here but there is a big interest in classic cars and there are meets and shows all the time.

post-153343-0-09461900-1440830183_thumb.

post-153343-0-28039000-1440830191_thumb.

post-153343-0-46809500-1440830200_thumb.

post-153343-0-54579700-1440830209_thumb.

post-153343-0-03464600-1440830233_thumb.

post-153343-0-42520300-1440831227_thumb.

Edited by Mozzie (see edit history)

Looks like its a solid car!  I am surprised to hear that most electronics do not work?  Usually those are pretty reliable.  Care to expand on just what does and doesn't work?  Maybe someone here can give you some insight to a fix, if you want one.

Wish you good luck with your project.  This is one that is optioned smartly!  Glad it went to a good home!

• Like 1

Thanks John,

I'd say most of the problems are easy fixes but I'm waiting for my garage to be built so I have some room and decent lighting to check it out. So far the list is: No headlights, indicators, brake lights or power seat. Air con is also disconnected probably due to it not working. The power seat I've read up on and apparently with a clean out and lube it may work again - I can hear the motor trying to operate. All the windows work but very slowly and with some help. Some of the other issues could be even be globes or fuses - I'm kind of in garage mode at the moment but another few weeks and I can concentrate on the Buick. I'd like to at least know everything works before I disassemble the car.
It's been sitting around a long time - every piece of chrome is oxidized and every rubber perished beyond recognition. Pedals rubbers had worn right off. One of the reasons I bought this car is because no one has ever tried to fix anything - it's all been left completely untouched. The owner was a nice guy in his 70's and was not well enough to maintain it - he put it aside for me for 6 weeks so I could arrange the inspection and transport - pretty generous.

Coming from Arizona it's no wonder the seals are deteriorated. Also accounts for the replacement seat upholstery.  I like it without the vinyl roof option.  If you plan to keep it outdoors for now better check the front and rear windshield seals.  As you may know, the glue that holds them in deteriorates as well, and when the water lays in there, it's a short trip to new floors and trunk pans.

As for the headlights and directional, I don't think this will be a fuse.  Sounds like something in the headlight switch.  But I did hear of one recent 55 Chevy ( heavily modified) where the floor highbright dimmer switch broke and knocked out all the lights. It may not be your situation but thought it worth a mention.

Good luck on BOTH projects... The Garage and the Buick!!!