Pinion Gear Question

Taylormade

I discovered a chipped gear on the transmission drive pinion gear.  It turns out this part is almost impossible to find.  Why am I not surprised.

Anybody out there want to opine on using my existing pinion shaft with the chipped gear?  It's hard to understand why this particular gear chipped since it is a non-sliding, constant mesh gear.  Its sole function is to turn the countershaft below.  Could I just smooth it out a bit and go with it?  I don't really want to take the easy (and perhaps foolish) way out, but I also want to drive this car before I take the big dirt nap and at my age that may be any at time.  All the other gears in the box look just fine for an eighty-four year old car (1932 Dodge DL.)  Suggestions welcome.

IMG_6514_zpsb3si1uzy.jpg

"Where's the broken piece?" is my first thought if you decide to go with that transmission. I would be on the look out for a complete transmission. I know they're not everywhere, but I found one two years ago for a '33 Dodge that I had, and I have bought and sold several '31 Cadillac transmissions lately. You will probably never find that gear separately, but I am confident you will find a transmission - and probably one that is useable as found. I usually trip over stuff like this when I'm not trying very hard - you know, when searching exhaustively, no luck , but always keeping a watchful eye for it. Good luck!!