1947 Chrysler

This is an  ongoing problem. I have been going thru the process of trying to have the downshift on the transmission working properly.

After many hours under the hood it is still not resolved.  The one thing that comes to mind is that when I bought the car it had electronic ignition installed. The one thing that I think stops the test light from coming on between the coil & the PRI contact on the relay is the ground that the high output coil has--if I take the ground off the test light between the coil & the relay comes on. Without the ground  the car won't start.   Would it be advisable to go back to the regular coil and point system that the car came with? your thought would be appreciated.

Bruce Watson

Guest Bob Call

If it is a Petronix conversion, remove it and replace stock points and condenser per shop manual spec's. Be sure to set idle speed to 450 RPM then give it a test drive. If it still doesn't downshift properly, follow Rusty O'Toole's advice in the recent posts.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Bob,  Thank you for the suggestion, I knew about the Petronix conversion kit when I bought the car but didn't think too much about it as a lot of club members have them installed without problems but the are not fluid drive cars!  I will order all the necessary parts to get it back to stock & go from there.  The idle speed is set at 450 RPM, while the car was in gear.

Regards & thank you

Bruce