rear spindle?

Guest Coronet440

Guest Coronet440

Does anyone know whether a LeBaron with 4-wheel disc brakes has an identical spindle and/or hub to the Tc, or if there are any cars that do? I can't find remanufactured spindles or rear hubs anywhere.

Are the rear hubs anything like the front hubs?

Guest Coronet440

I can't seem to get the bearings tightened right, either too loose or too tight it seems. Regardless, I want to go through and replace as much as a I can. Being in the rust belt, I'd like some fresh iron to replace what I can and then spray it with something resistant like Zinc-it.

Nothing special about getting these things right and tight, but not to tight. Pack the bearings just like you would if you were doing the front end of a rear wheel  drive car or truck, snug up the  bearings and back them off a hair.

The nut is 5 sided and you can move the notched lock cover 4 times to find the spot that comes the closest to where you are and that's  where you pin it.    

This is a 25 year old car and rust belt cars that are 5 years old don't like to let you remove a captured ABS sensor in one piece. best not to remove if you don't need to.

Where this part is grease works good and unless you take it swimming, the spindles won't rust with the bearings well greased. Knock off any caked on mud, spray it down with some brake cleaner and when it's all nice and dry, spray the exposed steel [not the spindle] with some rust converter primer, then some rustolium. When that's good and dry you can brush on a thin coating of grease. Brush on a little  grease every fall and you will be good  for years.

Guest Coronet440

Thank you 89TC, I have a 93 LeBaron With same engine sitting in the front of my house that was my DD before I got this TC and it has 4 wheel disc brakes. It already donated its engine, amond other things, and the brake conversion is somewhere on the agenda. I may as well move spindles too since the car is 2 years newer and has half the miles.

Thank you 89TC, I have a 93 LeBaron With same engine sitting in the front of my house that was my DD before I got this TC and it has 4 wheel disc brakes. It already donated its engine, amond other things, and the brake conversion is somewhere on the agenda. I may as well move spindles too since the car is 2 years newer and has half the miles.

You will find that your 93 LeBaron has vented rotor and different calipers than your TC. 

The LeBaron hardware would be an improvement on your TC, but if the 93 does not have ABS, you may have a problem with the sensors.

Also the parking brake cables and mounting hardware will be different.

The ONLY other car brand using the TC's type rear disc brakes is the Dodge Daytona 1987-88 year models.

Pretty sure ive seen pbody es turbo cars and aa body es cars with solid discs like my TC

Youre right, however the caliper setup is totally different. The parking brake is inside the rotor 'hat' with miniature brake shoes, whereas the TC uses the caliper to clamp down as the parking brake.

I have the vented rotors on my Laser, forgot that was from a Daytona IROC.

• 3 weeks later...

Packed the rear bearings and finally got around to installing the alignment shim in the right rear.  I used a a tapered shim that I had to fit to the hub, if the taper hadn't been a perfect fit for my alignment need, it would have been more work than the standard shims.

Thought these pics would work well with this posting thread.

This is the spindle

The spindle mounts behind the brake mount plate that holds the ABS sensor

The castle nut lock plate has multiple possibilities for finding a hole set that lines up with the cotter pin.

post-134611-0-21999900-1442887928_thumb.

post-134611-0-05211700-1442888001_thumb.

post-134611-0-62338300-1442888104_thumb.

post-134611-0-14411900-1442888701_thumb.