Back in a 63 Riv after a 13 year hiatus.

Cornpanzers Riv

On 7/17/2018 at 7:24 PM, RivNut said:

Ironic.  A really nice wood wheel on a car in a year in which the wood wheel was not an option.

Not “ironic” at all (particularly when you read the definition of that word). It was fully intentional. That wheel goes well with the later wheels, 65 grill and 425 / Turbo 400 from a 64. I love the interior and trim of the 63 with the improvements of later cars.

Rivnut, feel free to limit your unsolicited negetive comments to other threads

After talking to several folks who have restored their wood wheel center cap via rechroming after drilling out the rivets

on the back, I have located and purchased a pretty nice used horn cap with very small pits that I am going to dismantle and have redone, so everyone

can rest easy........I won't be stealing your horn cap in the middle of the night.

18 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

After talking to several folks who have restored their wood wheel center cap via rechroming after drilling out the rivets

on the back, I have located and purchased a pretty nice used horn cap with very small pits that I am going to dismantle and have redone, so everyone

can rest easy........I won't be stealing your horn cap in the middle of the night.

I have a horn cap on which someone has removed the rivets so the emblem is loose.  No problems with anything other than when the rivets were removed, the spring clips were lost.  So, when you figure out how to put everything back together, be rare to let us know how you did it. In the mean time, I'll be looking for clips.

Ed

The spring clips wouldn't be lost when they were removed except if someone didn't put them in a safe place till

the cap was reassembled. I have been told that what you do is just use a dremel tool or drill bit to remove just the heads from the rivets....

the shaft of the rivet will still be there. Then you remove the three spring clips and lucite emblem and put them in a safe place while the cap is being restored. When you go back together in place of the rivets to hold things together you use Gorilla Glue or  JB Weld. Larry Daisy told me he's done quite

a few horn cap restorations this way with no problems. I really don't understand how the rivets are put in there. I assume it will be self explanatory after I get it apart.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

The spring clips wouldn't be lost when they were removed except if someone didn't put them in a safe place till

the cap was reassembled. I have been told that what you do is just use a dremel tool or drill bit to remove just the heads from the rivets....

the shaft of the rivet will still be there. Then you remove the three spring clips and lucite emblem and put them in a safe place while the cap is being restored. When you go back together in place of the rivets to hold things together you use Gorilla Glue or  JB Weld. Larry Daisy told me he's done quite

a few horn cap restorations this way with no problems. I really don't understand how the rivets are put in there. I assume it will be self explanatory after I get it apart.

I`m not staring at an original horn cap, but if my recall is correct, the horn cap is put together like many, many assemblies of the period are.  Before the parts were mated there were "posts" which the original parts were indexed around/to and when the parts were in place the posts were peened flat, like the head of a rivet, to retain the components. So, there are not literally rivets which were used to put the cap together. If this was the case one could simply drill out and replace the rivets. If using something like epoxy to reassemble the parts, the epoxy will need to bond to what is left of the original posts to hold all together. I have never had the need to do so, but the method I would try would be to create a situation in which a fastener could be used for a stronger, more reliable bond. The horn cap requires a bit of a hard pull to remove it from the wheel so there is the possibility epoxy might not hold the retaining clips. That is why the retaining clips often become loose or fail to continue to secure the retaining clips to the cap given the original retaining method. Maybe drill a center hole in what is left of the original posts and use some sort of self tapping screw with a recessed or relatively flush head?

Tom

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I`m not staring at an original horn cap, but if my recall is correct, the horn cap is put together like many, many assemblies of the period are.  Before the parts were mated there were "posts" which the original parts were indexed around/to and when the parts were in place the posts were peened flat, like the head of a rivet, to retain the components. So, there are not literally rivets which were used to put the cap together. If this was the case one could simply drill out and replace the rivets. If using something like epoxy to reassemble the parts, the epoxy will need to bond to what is left of the original posts to hold all together. I have never had the need to do so, but the method I would try would be to create a situation in which a fastener could be used for a stronger, more reliable bond. The horn cap requires a bit of a hard pull to remove it from the wheel so there is the possibility epoxy might not hold the retaining clips. That is why the retaining clips often become loose or fail to continue to secure the retaining clips to the cap given the original retaining method. Maybe drill a center hole in what is left of the original posts and use some sort of self tapping screw with a recessed or relatively flush head?

Tom

That's the situation I'm in with the one cap I mentioned.  I can see remnants of the original casting "posts".  It appears that the retaining clips for the center emblem are also the clip that hold the horn to the wheel.  My problem is my clips are MIA. Looks like a trip to a salvage yard is in order to look for horn buttons from pre-air bag equipped cars is in order.  I like the idea of drilling a small hole and using a self tapping screw. So the search begins.  Anyone have a cap so far gone it's not worth reforming but still has good clips in it?  Contact me.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Steve, I really haven’t driven far enough to be confident. Initial impressions are that it rides pretty decent. It is low though, so it drags over speed bumps and such

The headlights are cheap halogen H4 Units. I used a pair of original corner buckets and modified them for adjuster screws.  They would not fit behind the clear plastic corner lenses until I ground a slight Chamfer on the edges of the headlights. It’s all very snug.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 12:09 AM, Cornpanzers Riv said:

Hi Brian.  I am in Centerville.  Would love to see your car.

Yeah, definitely should get together when the weather breaks. I’ve been redoing the interior all winter. Hope to have it back together soon. You going to Kalamazoo?

🏼

• 3 years later...

Been a while since I’ve updated. A lot of stuff going on and the Riviera has been back burnered for a while. Interestingly, I was recently offered the opportunity to be the new caretaker of a silver, with red leather restored 63. It was a deal I couldn’t pass up, so the white car will likely be for sale. Really struggling with the decision…

IMG_2149.jpeg

• Like 1