Back in a 63 Riv after a 13 year hiatus.

Cornpanzers Riv

This past Memorial Day I was walking through a local swap meet (minding my own business) when I stumbled upon a scruffy but surprisingly solid white 63. The paint was bad and the interior was nonexistent, but it had only a couple spots of rust. It couldn't be an Ohio car...it had trunk floors and rear body mounts. Sure enough, it was a Southern California car and best of all it was cheap.

This isn't my first Riviera though. About 16 years ago I bought a fairly low mileage silver/silver leather 63. The silver paint had failed completely, so I put it in Grey primer. The wheel choice was based on what I could afford, not what I really liked. It was a cool car, but I was young And broke and had to sell it to finance another toy.

image1440642371.jpg

My new car will never be a Concours candidate. At some point had a complete 64 driveline swapped into it including a 425. All of the hoses and lines were dried out and cracking. The brake booster was blown, so I decided to Swap to a dual circuit system. One thing led to another and I had the top end completely apart. Turns out the valvetrain noise was a collapsed lifter. No biggie.

image1440643023.jpg

I have a correct red wrinkle air cleaner for a '63 that I'd trade you for that chrome one.   You have to use an adapter for that air cleaner to work on your carb don't you?  If not, are you running an aftermarket carb? 

Ed

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery4/1963-buick-riviera-eng2.cfm

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

This has been dormant for a long time. Now that I have my Porsche project done, I'm back on the Riv.  It had got lightly rear ended back in the 70s and the bodywork repair was questionable at best. The only real rust on the car was in the trough below the rear window… Pineneedles had collected there and rusted out the window frame. 

Last year I rebuilt the window frame and that was about as far as I got. As of this week it's at my buddies body shop getting the rear half straightened out. Some  think I'm crazy, but I'm only going to paint the back half for now. That way I can get the glass and interior back in and enjoy driving it this summer. Next winter I will do the front half. I don't have the time, money or zeal for another full restoration. It's white, so I'm not concerned too much with paint match.

Meanwhile, I have collected a really nice wood steering wheel, factory tachometer and original aluminum valve covers.  I have a new carpet and headliner from Clark's and a full round of chrome interior roof line moldings. Can't wait to be driving it again 

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

Edited by Cornpanzers Riv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Making more progress. The bumpers are good driver quality, but I just don’t have the cash to have them plated at this point.  Same with the wheels.  A friend of mine owns Dayton Wire Wheel, but I just don’t have the spare cash.

Paint turned out really well. When I delivered the car, I told them not to make it a concours piece like we did on the Porsche.  I told them I want a nice cruise-in quality car...Something I can enjoy. A critical eye could pick out some gaps that are not exact, but it’s going to look really good at the local cruise night.

20DD64F0-409D-40D7-9686-8757EF5C0EAD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...