65 Riv Gran Sport on ebay

cjp69

I am somewhat familiar with this car as I found it in a bodyshop back lot a couple of months ago near where it is being sold currently. I can check the car for anyone that is SERIOUSLY interested. Willing to help a potential buyer but PLEASE serious only. Thanks,

Tom

Is that rope holding the battery down.? The exhaust IMO also looks weird. I may be off base but it seems like a lot of money  for details like that to be overlooked. How does the lack of air-conditioning affect pricing on a GS? 

Bill 

Lack of a/c would probably not be a deterrant is you lived up around the 49th Parallel.

Ed

I bi-past all car ads if they did not have air.

Wow....that Super Wildcat engine compartment sure looks pretty when not cluttered with all the A/C components. I also like to have A/C in my cars but it becomes much more important in my daily drivers. There are folks who prefer low optioned cars for the clean and simple concept in cosmetics and function. I can understand that also. It sure makes the right front plug easier to get at on a Nailhead without the A/C compressor in the way!

A few years ago I purchased a very, very original 38K mile `65 GS at the annual ROA meet. The comment I heard most often was not about original paint, interior, the original spare, the original belts, shocks and spark plug wires, the circa 1970 tires the car was wearing or the one owner history but about how cool the car is because it is a "stripped down" version. Go figure...

The original owner ordered the car to use occasionally for drag racing, which he did, no A/C, no power windows. But he did order custom interior, AM-FM radio and a few other options. He definitely raced the car as the PCV valve was substituted with a downdraft tube from an older Nailhead and I have receipts for the ignition recurve parts and original time slips. There is also a receipt from the original dealer for work on the differential. Dont know if this was warranty work or possibly a gear set change. As I recall the time slips may be indicative of the original gear set being swapped out for something more aggressive than the standard 3:42 gear set. The time slips were almost too fast for a heavy car...

A few years ago I narrowly missed purchasing an original `64 Wildcat Super Wildcat 4 speed car, original docs, etc...purchased thru Reynolds Buick which had a performance reputation in the Buick world. Same scenario, dual quad 4 speed car with no power brakes but a custom interior with  power windows but no A/C. 

So it seems back in the day performance cars were often ordered INTENTIONALLY with few options and for a certain purpose. Sometimes those rarities even command greater value as collector cars. Different strokes for different folks....I guess it`s safe to say I like `em all!

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)