IPC Repair Question

Guest reattacascada

Guest reattacascada

Hello, I am a new 1990 Reatta w Sun Roof, member, Vee,  of this forum and would be grateful in advance for any help on a one-shot-slip-shod-calculated-risk approach at quickly repairing my IPC which I pulled apart and found a burnt diode as the culprit. So burnt however that I don't see any markings other than "QC" on it's round little burnt belly and a pair of "flying v wings on its back" printed in black.  It's a rolly poley lookin little guy and the pcb marking symbol in white underneath it reads like a egg shaped Xmas tree ornament with two ends instead of one to hang it from. Additionally it says CR5 and one lead appears to go to one of the many connections of the power supply and the other end to a capacitor that reads 36V... It is on the board sandwihed in the middle that contains the ribbon cable and all resistor innards and such...

Now I am describing it this way as a jack of all trades type that has been exposed to electronics and yet don't really want to do much real engineering research but will get "techy" with assistance of google and youtube and such to push my envelope and luck perhaps...that said, my dad was an Engineer so I have some a hands on,  but really I just want to be practical  - "if its something complex-to-simple or I can learn something new" I will approach any situation cautiously enough to have a chance" so here I will try it:

Bottom line, if anyone has one of these boards and can tell me what to replace it with, even what the original truly is in terms of unit and rating and perhaps the next higher rating unit, I would be very happy to try.  I know it does not appear to be just a burnt resistor, but it might if the board marking was wrong, again I am usually just one to do a "static" check for blown fuses then I might try replacing the whole thing - I mean was reading about the options here on this thread for replacement, but I just want to try first. 

Any ideas? I have basic cel phone pictures too...attachment forthcoming,

Thank you.

Appreciated,

Vee

Guest reattacascada

HI ALL

HERE ARE COMPLETE PICS AND SUMMARY:

VEE’S 1990 BUICK REATTA W SUN ROOF

BURNT DIODE ON IPC / INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/ DIGITAL DASH

SYMPTOM: WARNING LIGHTS ONLY AND BUTTONS ON DASH SEEM TO RESPOND AND BLINK UPON TEST…NO DIGITAL DASH DATA THOUGH…IE NO SPEED, GAS, MILEAGE...ZERO...NADA...

2. DETAILS:

MIDDLE PCB – PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD WITH RIBBONS AND POWER SUPPLY LABLED:

PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD ETCHED NAME:

“ 25-67513-1

REV C 34-90

ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO “

DIODE IN QUESTION: (TOO BURNT TO SEE / WHAT EXACTLY IS IT?):

DIODE LOACTION CR5 – NEXT TO POWER SUPPLY – SEE IT’S ODD SYMBOL ON PCB PICTURED

LEADS GO TO:

DIODE’S CATHODE LEAD….TO CAPACITOR C15 (POS +..SPECS 35V/ 330uF )

ANNODE LEAD GOES TO POWER SUPPLY ..APPEAR TO BE SECOND FROM LAST TERMINAL

THATS IT FOR NOW...THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME EXPLORE A SOLUTION ...

VEE

Ok. The device on question is a diode (appears to be a rectifier diode) but cannot be 100% certain of that, perhaps some shottky variant given the unusual form factor. The markings I can see without desoldering it from the board are "938". I've repaired a few of these clusters myself and can tell you that all the electrolytics on the board will require replacement, transistors Q4, Q5, Q6 and Q7 as well as capacitor C23 and rectifier diodes CR1 and CR4 are suspect and should be replaced. These are mostly within the high voltage section (about 100 volts AC) that supplies the drive voltage for the anodes and cathodes for the VFD display panels. The filament voltage is a lower DC supply, but should be verified as well.

The major problem is that many of the original parts were restamped with house numbers by Delco Electronics to stymie non-authorized repairs. I figured out most of these and have a cross ref here somewhere (need to go in the file cabinet and locate it but not sure if I ever had cause to replace CR5 before so may not have an equivalent part number handy for that).

Will go looking and post back with what I find.

KDirk

Guest reattacascada
Hi, Thanks for the attention, ...

Well, again to clarify here ... all I want is someone who has one of these junked ipc's and can open it up to look at the board,

if its just sitting around and rotting anyway ...perhaps they can shed light and tell me anything they can on the part that is bad so I can buy a new diode ...

Basicly, even if they just send a close up or  snap a picture of the part...mine was burnt beyond recognition but still stayed in tact for the most part...but I can't see the specs on the diode...is it 5 volts? or 400 volts? etc...

Otherwise, I will just take a wild guess and solder in a replacement diode of say a reasonable  Voltage etc.   and see what happens....

I just believe in trying and learning first...

Then if it still does not work,  I might send it in to get rebuild or buy a new one from all the vendors etc out there...

For now, I just want to play and push the envelope and dig deeper and maybe learn a bit more about IPC's circuitry this way...I mean, I am taking it slowwwww..it is not my aim to fry it any further that it already is...it to see if I can get it to light up and give me error codes and such ....

Sound like a Plan?

V

Guest reattacascada

Hi KDirk,

THANKS VERY MUCH for your appreciated perspective...I appreaciate any more info you want to share, I am going to get right on this and cross reference what I given the manfufacturer's tricky complexities etc...I will keep you posted...

• 2 years later...

Welcome to the forum MJMBrooks! Here are couple of places that repair the IPCs.

We work on a multitude of factory equipment, including car stereos, cd players and changers, AM/FM cassettes, odometers, and speedometers. you can reach us by phone (toll-free) at 800-448-0944 with any questions about our services.

We Can Repair Most Any Problem in Any Speedometer or Instrument Cluster. email:customerservice@southernelectronics.com or call:1-800-446-2880

DIGITAL DASH SOLUTIONS offers full support, service & sales for most GM instrument clusters. My repair service is backed by 25 years of experience with automotive electrical systems. Phone: 1-860-583-0629 Email: digital_dash_solutions@comcast.net

• Thanks 1

Ronnie...Hope you didn't mind that I passed your info onto a fellow Riviera Owners Assoc member who is having his '90 Riviera IPC issues. 

45 minutes ago, DShip said:

Ronnie...Hope you didn't mind that I passed your info onto a fellow Riviera Owners Assoc member who is having his '90 Riviera IPC issues. 

Not at all. I copied it from the ROJ vendors list. The Riv guys might find ROJ useful for a lot of things.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Ship if it is Tim I think he is working on a connector issue. 

It is Tim.  Yes, he's working on a connector issue.  And, I personally wanted to thank you for helping him with his '90 Riviera IPC problems.