How do I convince a neighbor/friend not to streetrod a 29 coupe?

Pete Phillips

First, I have to confess that the subject is a 1929 Chrysler 6-cylinder coupe, and I know this is the Prewar Buick forum, but I know most of you and you know me, and I respect your opinions.

A friend of mine pulled this totally unrestored, original, 1929 Chrysler coupe out of a barn last winter. I know it needs a new gas tank and the wood and canvas roof insert needs replacing. Needs the usual tires, hoses, fan belt, etc., too. But he got the old flathead six running this month and it doesn't sound too bad.  Today, I learned from a mutual friend that he plans to "modernize" the car with a late model frame, V-8 engine, new suspension, etc. It upsets me very much to hear and see this happen. This is a rare and desirable body style, rare car with only about 4000 of these coupes made in '29; it has the  Chrysler advances, such as hydraulic brakes in 1929, etc. The car has its original paint and upholstery. How many '29 Chrysler coupes can there be in existence in this kind of condition? It makes me very angry and upset that he would do this, and he's a friend of mine--not a close friend, but a likeable guy and lives just a few miles away.  I think he has about $5000 to $6000 in the car, and I would buy it just to save it from this fate, and resell it to someone who will restore it properly. This same guy has a street-rodded 1941 Graham, which is even more rare, but he did that years before I knew him.

I don't have a problem with someone taking an incomplete car or one that isn't so rare, and street-rodding it, but to watch this is really upsetting.

What arguments can I make to stop this guy from destroying this car?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-77451-0-43068600-1439951652_thumb.j

Pete,

Steer him to a "Factory 5" glass bodied Duce and leave the poor old Chrysler alone !!!!

He could probably finance a street rod by selling the Chrysler to someone who will properly restore it.

Just my $ ,02

Mike in Colorado

Show him e bay listings of all the street rodded coupes of that era and how the owners have way more money in them than what they bid up to.   The argument regarding the wood framed body is a very good one as well.   Educate him on the HPOF class in AACA too.   

Today, I learned from a mutual friend that he plans to "modernize" the car with a late model frame, V-8 engine, new suspension.

So he wants to put the body & fenders on a pick up chassis or some 1970's chassis? Junk the rest

The wooden body will not like that.

And not much left of the car as it now. We do at times see old running chassis advertised here on the forum and ebay

If he didn't ask for your opinion, then stay out of trying to talk him out of doing the improvements he wants.

He may soon be your FORMER friend, it's never going to be a highly valued piece, restored or updated.

I smile and walk away from any person telling me how I should build my car, exception is WHEN I ask for input.

Dale in Indy

You could tell him that nearly stock 1928 Chryslers were entered in Le Mans in '28, and took 3rd and 4th with the same engine his car has, a 249 cu. in. six. His Chrysler is a coupe instead of a roadster, and a '29 instead of a '28 -- but he's got some racing heritage going on there. One of the race cars is preserved at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum.

Pete, cash speaks loudly. Go tell your friend straight-up that you are deeply troubled when you see such fine, complete and original cars used for modification. Tell him that you'd like to buy the car and that you have a good chance at getting the car to someone who will make her like new - even if you end up in the red. Be prepared to go to your limit; if he can make some money, at least that excuse he'll no longer have. If he turns you down, make him put a price on it. If he prices it and it is not entirely out of reason then you'll know that he is not too emotionally tied to the car. Let him know that he can change his mind and that your offer will still be good at least for a while.

There will be a lot of thinking that he'll go through in the face of such earnestness.

One more thing you can consider is asking if you can thoroughly document and photograph the car as it is a fine original and rare specimen and that once it is gone, it will be lost forever to those that value the information. Maybe you have connections with a Chrysler publication whereby a story can be written. He may begin to realize that his plans do have a detrimental and irreversible consequence.

It is his car so he can do what he wants, however a real friend would tell him he's going to do something stupid.  We can argue the dimensions of what stupid means here but hard to argue 10k car + 30k worth of work =  15k car.

exactly - if that's what his plan is there seems like there would be better cars to do it to

I saw a running studebaker president that someone was offering up for hot rodding... 

The younger guys seem to want an old car that they can drive at hiway speeds or even faster and can stop good. I don't think they care about preserving history or anything like that. They have a vision and although its usually not realistic it is their vision and its their car. What ever is done with the car does not bother me at all. There are plenty of well preserved cars just like there are plenty of modified ones. The neighbor probably thinks you are crazy for wanting to make your car as original as possible since to him it won't really drive well in todays traffic. What is a stupid decision to you may be a very logical one to him. I love leaving my car as original as possible but I realize that many others think I should paint it etc. Its mine so I will do as I want, kind of like your neighbor.

Pete, no point in getting upset over your friends decision.  My thoughts are : each car hot rodded makes my car more valuable.  Hell, I don't even restore my own cars and their value still goes up, and I am way on the plus side with the value of all my cars.  I'm good to go with that!   

Maybe the guy sees his neighbor keep buying and selling cars and wonders how hard it is to be happy with a stock car. He probably gazed at that nice '49 Buick and one day it was gone, too. The role model down the street may have made him think doing it his own way would be his path to a keeper.

:)

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, and if anyone is interested, I was able to work a deal with the owner (hooray!), buy the car for what he has in it, and thereby save it from being street-rodded. I'm going to clean it up, polish it, get it running (needs another carburetor, if anyone has one), and resell to someone who will keep it original. The amount of original paperwork and documentation with this car is truly amazing for an 86-year-old car.

Pete Phillips

• Like 2

For all YOU purist, I have a 46 Roadmaster 4-door, thinking of HOT RODDING it, 

Who wants to SAVE it?????

Thinking small block Chevy, scallops, lowered, very large rims, maybe GREEN body, RED top, BLUE interior, should be a cool piece, huh?

I'm waiting,,,,,,,,give me YOUR price.  OH, it comes original, not cut up YET....

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Posted Today, 05:28 PM

"For all YOU purist, I have a 46 Roadmaster 4-door, thinking of HOT RODDING it,

Who wants to SAVE it?????

Thinking small block Chevy, scallops, lowered, very large rims, maybe GREEN body, RED top, BLUE interior, should be a cool piece, huh?

I'm waiting,,,,,,,,give me YOUR price. OH, it comes original, not cut up YET...."

Dale in Indy

I don't think this little episode came out the way he wanted...so he's going to mock it. Can't please 'em all.

Pete

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have gone on record OFTEN, I enjoy purist cars/trucks and modifies.

I also think it WRONG to tell another member HOW to live within his/her automotive interest when THEY didn't ask for such

I have no reason to suggest this turned out anything different than I wanted.

I am pleased that many of you are pleased.

I was just havin fun,

Love you ALL,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm entering this conversation a bit late, but I might suggest that in a similar situation, a look at beautiful original or restored examples of the car might go a long way towards dissuading someone who is "torch-happy". I took a moment to Google "Image" some '29 Chrysler coupes and saw a number of beautiful cars and one pathetic looking light blue street rod version of one. The thought that I'm always trying to drive home at times like this is how very disproportioned  modified cars often look. The light blue coupe is a fine example of that. Sadly, my argument often requires that the person with whom I trying desperately to reason have some sense of taste. Don't ask me my success rate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+auto+lite+distributors&biw=1220&bih=648&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIs_Wyho3exwIVwouSCh0KlA6Q#tbm=isch&q=1929+chrysler+coupe

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

"I wonder if would have sold it and not hot rodded it had you not bought it."

He was within a day or two of ripping out the original engine and hot-rodding it, when I bought it. He has done that with other vehicles he owns, so I have no doubt that he would have done it to this one. I know this isn't the Chrysler forum, but here's a photo or two to peek at, and then you can pretend you never saw this!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-77451-0-42154200-1441764706_thumb.j

post-77451-0-82109100-1441764753_thumb.j

post-77451-0-82697400-1441764788_thumb.j