What type of engine paint to use

Durant Mike

Ruling out Hirsch engine paint and POR15 which does not make the color I need for my engine, what type of engine paint will go on easy and withstand the test of time, Acrylic enamel or Urethane enamel. I can have the proper color mixed for me but I need some opinions on what will hold up best. Thanks.

Either one will work fine.  Many paint storers have formulas to mix  engine paint mostly in acrilic enamel but I suppose you are trying to match an old engine color.  Urethanes will generally last longer but engines are not exposed to sunlight as are exterior paints and it is probably not worth the extra cost to go urethane instead of acrilic enamal.  The important thing is to thoroughly degrease and metal prep the block and other parts to be painted.  Most urethanes use a hardener whereas enamal can be used to touch up without a hardener.  Either paint will stand the underhood temperatures. 

Every time this discussion comes up I ask the same question. What is the difference between high temp paints and any other paint? Have never gotten an answer except for black and silver which have different pigments. We use urethane enamel and it works as well as anything else.

Not sure what color you are looking for but if is "Chevy Orange" the following is very good. It will pass NCRS. I also believe they make more colors then the above. Larry

quant-products-logo.jpg
  •  

Thank you for showing an interest in Quanta Products

Our business hours are Monday through Friday 8am-5pm EST.

Quanta Products LLC
743 Telegraph Road
Rising Sun, MD 21911
Main Line: 800-235-8788
Questions: 410-658-5700
Fax Line: 410-658-5758

sales@gastanks.com sales@quantaproducts.com

We welcome anyone interested in our products to stop by our store front located in Rising Sun, MD. If you would like to pick up your order at our location make sure to call and verify we have the products you are looking for in stock at our main location. If you would like to send payment for an order via postal mail please be sure that you enclose your Name, Address, and Telephone Number so that we may contact you after the order is recieved. Please call us at 800-235-8788 or prepare your order online to verify the total amount of your order before sending payment. If you are sending photos, please be sure that all forementioned information is enclosed or we will not be able to return your photos.

In other words, chemically, there is no difference. 

I don't pretend to be a Chemical Engineer but how does one change the "Gloss" in a paint?? This is one area the judges

look real close at. I have noticed that the gloss in engine paint(Quanta) is different from the regular can paint one buys at the box

stores. Larry

We do it all the time. Just buy a "flatting agent" (not "flattening") from your usual paint supplier and experiment or your supplier can mix any gloss level you specify but it takes a bit of fiddling to get it right. My point re "engine paints" was that they are no more heat resistant than anything else, with the exception of silver or black.

Over the years I have purchased many 'engine paints' that were high gloss.  I agree that would not judge well on the 30's cars I am involved with.  For me the EXACT color and hue is important.  My wife and I have developed a paint formula using Rustoleum which satisfies the judges.  Dulling or flattening agents are available at most any auto paint supplier. 

Restorer32, we posted at exactly the same time.

Edited by Curti (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable replies. I defer to experts in this area.  I'll probably go for a PPG paint in Urethane Enamel with a good PPG self etching primer.  I have to have a custom color mixed as Durant products for my year used a specific color of paint. It was a gray/green not like the Buick color or others. I'm probably going to have the Auto Color Library people mix it up for me, they've been a great help in the past matching colors. Most people I talk to say that the gloss paint will dull down somewhat after it heats up awhile.

Very interesting topic. For me I will take the easy/less time approach. I will buy my engine paint from a known supplier that has done

all the work for me and will pass all the judging standards. That's why I pick quanta for "Chevy Orange". Only my opinion. Larry