SOLD-Doing a survey on parting out this 1934 Dodge DR- 4 door sedan.

Doing a survey on parting this car out. Needs total resto.

Will part out if the demand warrants it. Never done this before on taking a complete car and parting out.

What parts do you need? Will post more pictures later. This car is complete, title etc.

Wish list below.

Thanks

Dave

Shipping-World Wide

Location-Jamestown Ca 95370 (USA)

Email-----dave@dodgecityvintage.com

Phone----209-613-1199

post-121135-0-45410700-1438630895_thumb.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

The car is a great candidate for resto. Best offer we had was 5000.00  The car is a great candidate for resto. We have sold parts from 34s 3 times the amount that was offered. Ask anybody that knows us. I don't play games. (JAY) Do not know what you mean with your comment. Nothing is being hid or being told. Just testing the market to see what is the best direction and seems like parting is the answer.. Asking 12.500 for the car but needs total resto. 4 dr just don't bring the money compare to the parts. Hope this clears the air. Its just a business transaction.

Thanks

Dave

Dave - I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to be sneaky or underhanded in any way.  Merely asking for further explanation as to why you would part it.    The first post didn't really get into any detail so it left me wondering why - That's all.  Sorry if it came across differently.  Jay

I have never done Ebay for cars. If you have watch Ebay as I have, these cars don't bring much. 3000 to 22.000 restored. Here is a 34 hot rod with 150.000? to do and it sold for 36.000. It wouldn't take much to put this car back to stock. The car was done to have the stock look. I may try later. We have 2 34 4dr sedans that we may test the waters with Ebay. It has been my experience that parting out has been a better business move.

post-121135-0-48216200-1438711800_thumb.

I would say that greed will have a say in the answer to your question. If you want someone to keep it intact, sell it on Ebay. If you don't care about the vehicle and chances are good that you will get more for the sum of the parts separately, part it out.

Personally, as an aficionado of 30s cars, it would kill me to see that beautiful car torn to pieces.  As a business person, tearing it up probably makes the most sense these days.  Dave has helped me out several times with parts (free of charge) over the last months and we met at the Centennial Meet in Detroit last year.  I know he loves old cars, but I also know he has to make a living and is trying to get the parts business in some sort of reasonable order.  Where the problem lies is in the dichotomy of business and hobby.  Turn your hobby into a business and a whole new set of problems arises, not the least of which is past fellow hobbyists suddenly being dismayed by the new greedy, car destroying persona the businessman has become.  Many of the people decrying the destruction of this original car would probably take it and stick it in their barn/shed/garage where it would rot for the next thirty years until their son/grandson/daughter/wife/nephew tried to sell it for some vastly inflated price.  The new buyer would then keep it for another  fifteen years until he died and his son sold it for parts.

To my dismay, most of these old sedans don't garner much enthusiasm, although it might survive in hot rod form if the right buyer decided to alter it (at least it would remain somewhat intact).  Parting it out makes perfect business sense, but this site is dedicated to preserving these cars and I'm sure a lot of us shudder at the thought of it being torn apart and sold piecemeal.  Unless you are restoring a nice convertible and need a good set of front fenders.

• Like 1

And as a hobbyist it was my decision to restore my first car, my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL, even though it won't be worth half of what I will spend on the restoration.  I don't expect pats on the back, kudos or huzzas for this choice.  All I have received, and expect to receive, is a lot of fun, many new friends and the reward of a job well done. 

• Like 1

And as a hobbyist it was my decision to restore my first car, my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL, even though it won't be worth half of what I will spend on the restoration.  I don't expect pats on the back, kudos or huzzas for this choice.  All I have received, and expect to receive, is a lot of fun, many new friends and the reward of a job well done. 

That is what the hobby is all about.

This started as a hobby then it turned into a business but his goal was to restore these cars and Mike had build the 1st floor for the museum that he was putting together. The income was secondary to what he had going on. He was running a full repair shop working on county cars and other commercial accounts.  Now with Mike being gone along with the income including mine, (I put my trucking company on hold) and his knowledge. It changed the whole outlook and the dynamics of the operations. This is the owner and my income. This is hard work to run this, especially when you come in blind. The overhead is high along doing business in CA. I have never worked this many hours in my life. In Detroit, I had 4 full serv gas stations, 15 tow trucks, used car lot and a warehouse to work on big trucks. But I also was in my 30s when I started that empire in 1984.  Amazing how big a plan changes when someone passes away.

Dave

I would say that greed will have a say in the answer to your question. If you want someone to keep it intact, sell it on Ebay. If you don't care about the vehicle and chances are good that you will get more for the sum of the parts separately, part it out.

Its not greed in my opinion. its what the market will pay. If you had a 1968 factory Hemi Cuda in your collection, I'm sure you wouldn't sell it for under 6 figures.

We have a 68 Cuda more rare than the Hemi car and it won't bring much more than 60.000. The market is funny. How about the 38 Chrysler that was up for auction and it didn't sell for 15.000? 10? year later it sells for 250.000 and they stick another 150.000 in restore it.

I must admit that over the past 10 years I have been a regular watcher of the spare parts market for the 34's. I am constantly amazed how much parts go for and even some of those in poor condition go for huge amounts. Then again, as you say, a complete car will go for a pittance in comparison. A number of years back one member on the forum had a 34 that was picked up and slammed into the ground by hurricane Katrina. He posted pics of the car and asked for interest in the parts. He had about 30 replies for people wanting parts....including myself......but he dropped off the radar and I haven't heard from him since. As mentioned previously, parts often save a number of cars where they can be completed and finished giving everyone enjoyment. It is a difficult decision but as Dave says, it is a business and he has to look after what he has. If I had the money and room I'd make you an offer, but if I did that I think I'd be sleeping in my Dodge permanently !

AFICIONADO.............I had to look that one up !!!!!!

I must admit that over the past 10 years I have been a regular watcher of the spare parts market for the 34's. I am constantly amazed how much parts go for and even some of those in poor condition go for huge amounts. Then again, as you say, a complete car will go for a pittance in comparison. A number of years back one member on the forum had a 34 that was picked up and slammed into the ground by hurricane Katrina. He posted pics of the car and asked for interest in the parts. He had about 30 replies for people wanting parts....including myself......but he dropped off the radar and I haven't heard from him since. As mentioned previously, parts often save a number of cars where they can be completed and finished giving everyone enjoyment. It is a difficult decision but as Dave says, it is a business and he has to look after what he has. If I had the money and room I'd make you an offer, but if I did that I think I'd be sleeping in my Dodge permanently !

AFICIONADO.............I had to look that one up !!!!!!

I also ask for parts on that car. Don't know what happen to him. You know that won't happen to this car unless something happens to me medically. I wouldn't sell these cars to  you (IAN) because the funeral would out way the cost of the cars. HEHE!

post-137812-0-03891900-1438733251_thumb.Definitely understand Dave's dilemma. I have a 33 Plymouth PD 4 door sedan which is virtually 100% complete, but the floors are rotted out from the car sitting since 1949 with the top out. I'd take $4000 as a complete car. I know I could easily sell that much or more in parts, then sell the body and chassis to a rat rodder for another 2K, but I hate to do that. The car has all the hard to find trim parts, tail light, bumpers, etc and the engine is completely original and still turns over!! I was offered $200 for the rear window garnish moulding but told the guy no I really wanted to sell the car complete. Although my Plymouth doesn't appear as nice as Dave's Dodge, and I must admit I'm starting to have second thoughts on selling it as a complete car versus parting it out.

Edited by dpcdfan (see edit history)

I have done business with Mike before his death, I would never had got my 35 KC back together ,if not for him,

I totally understand the economic of parting the car versus selling whole,

This site is devoted to preservation of antique vehicles, and with the help from Vintage Dodge , we can preserve these vehicles.

There may be other people that need a front clip, or rear fender, or bracket, that we have misplaced.

I don't think there is any greed in his decision, only need

Ps. Thanks Dave for stepping up,

Edited by 30dodge35 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

In my humble experiences I have seen very nice, fairly complete, original type cars like this get parted out. Seems like all of the "desirable" parts sell well, but ultimately you would be left with a big pile of all of the not-so-desirable parts as leftovers with not a bite in sight for years. What would happen to all of that stuff? The crusher is normally the answer. Too bad. But if done correctly, you could probably make some decent money selling the "desirables". (I sure would hate to be one of the ugly "not-so-desirable" parts though. A short trip to the smelter it would be for me!)   :unsure:

And to be clear I stand by my comment. There USED to be plenty of people who made a living off of the car hobby and still cared enough about the hobby to sell complete cars when that makes sense. Shame on you for tearing about a perfect candidate for restoration, profits be damned.

How would you do things differently? Always room for learning. Still kinda new at this.

You've carved out a piece of the economy for yourself. It's not my place to tell you how to conduct business. No hard feelings, just extremely disappointed to see another survivor get torn apart and then the less "needed" parts get scrapped. 

Wasn't asking for you to tell me how to run this company. I was asking how you would run it if it was yours? Like I said in the previous post, how would you run it? Always room for improvement and new skills. With running a tow company and being on the fire dept with the fires that we have in our area, were running with a full plate.

In 30+years of this company in existence, no parts to my knowledge has ever been scrapped.Ask anybody that has been here. Mike did not throw anything away.  Desition has not been made yet as to parting this car out. And if it is decided to be parted out, it would be the 1st complete car as such. I will exhaust all avenues to sell as complete. Also look at it this way, widows usually scrapped cars and parts when the spouse dies, that didn't happen in this case. That would have been a big tragedy.  Not a bad track for dealing with a 100+ vehicles in the last 4 years. You would be surprised how many complete cars were parted out by this company before I took over running the company when the owner died. Talk about parting out complete cars, Roy Bruster and Plydo also parted out complete cars. I have delivered many of these parts when I was in the car hauling business in the years 1996 to 2011 for the 3 companies listed and others not listed. I delivered parts from Boyd Coddington that parted out a complete running 1940 Ford Woody wagon that ZZ Top bought to make into a street rod. I hauled that car from a New Jersey flower shop that was in service from the day I picked it up to deliver it to Boyds.

• 1 month later...