Gas Stations

drwatson

The Bomber was a Portland icon for years. It still a gas station but I don't think the plane is there any more. It kind of went piece at a time for awhile. I guess it may be the neighborhood.

When I was young I got up to Portland on occasion (about 40 miles) and would get gas there.

So yesterday I stopped and a Union 76 station and told the kid to fill it up with super, cash. (Yes, In Oregon they still pump the gas for you) He told me I had to take the cash inside then bring him the receipt. then after the fill up I would have to go back in and get my change.

Well I wasn't empty but was going to jump on the freeway and didn't have enough gas to get home. I told him to forget it, then took the old road where I stopped at a Shell station where a very polite kid filled me up, took my cash and brought my change. Him and his coworker asked a couple of questions about the car and I was on my way.

Turns out I would have rather taken the old road anyway, stopped at a couple of yard sales.

• Like 1

Thanks for the images, drwatson.  They are from a time past when "gas" stations were appropriately called "service" stations; however, the "service" has disappeared, and all that's left is high-priced gasoline contaminated with alcohol.  I see from one of the images, that "Corn Alcohol Gasoline, 10% Blend" was tried back in the late '20s or early '30s, judging by the cars (I'm not good at recognizing a lot of the pre-war cars, so that's my guess).  Gasohol was apparently not too popular even back then.

Jack M,

I like your style and also take the back roads whenever possible.  My reaction to the "service" you received at the Union 76 Station would have been similar.

How far we've "progressed",

Grog

Interesting comment about the gas jockeys in Oregon. We drove there from Ontario to the Airflow Club National Meet in Bend in June and were stunned by the fact that it is mandated by State law that you can't fill up your own car - a service station attendant MUST do it for you. Now I like being served but like Jack M I'd have passed on that "service".

Incidentally, on our first ever visit to Oregon, we LOVED it. McMinnville and the Spruce Goose, Tillamook Dairy, High Desert Museum, amazing scenery, bridge at Astoria .......and so much more. Beautiful state and wonderful people :)

Guest exbcmc

The last pic of a Texaco, I worked at that exact style station in 1966. We gave away stainless steel mixing bowl sets with the gas, which was .32 for Sky Chief, which was their premium. Qt of oil .25

Interesting comment about the gas jockeys in Oregon. We drove there from Ontario to the Airflow Club National Meet in Bend in June and were stunned by the fact that it is mandated by State law that you can't fill up your own car - a service station attendant MUST do it for you. Now I like being served but like Jack M I'd have passed on that "service".

Incidentally, on our first ever visit to Oregon, we LOVED it. McMinnville and the Spruce Goose, Tillamook Dairy, High Desert Museum, amazing scenery, bridge at Astoria .......and so much more. Beautiful state and wonderful people :)

Thanks for the compliments D2.

I couldn't live anywhere else.

I am within a few miles of the Evergreen Air Museum.

Most people refer to the 'Hughes HK1 Flying boat' as the 'Spruce Goose'. I understand that Howard didn't like that term so I don't use it.

The museum is in trouble as the promoters parent company went bankrupt and he got busted for co-mingling of funds.

Then he died and the creditors started coming out of the woodwork. Something in the hundreds of millions and the company assets were only at 50 million.

Its a sad story, but it looks like the museum will survive although some of the planes will not belong to them any more. Last I read there is some investor that is doing some bailing out and will leave the planes there.

There is some nice real Estate at the airport across the street that could be had reasonably where Evergreen Aviation was.

On another note, if you are driving a classic car most if not all of those gas jockeys will hand over the nozzle if you ask. But yes, it is illegal. So is driving the special interest cars on other occasions than parades and such but I don't let that bother me either.

That can't be true, unless you are using the limited use license plates.

I have several cars registered with limited use (special interest and YOM) plates. And I drive em all regardless.

What an outlaw huh!

I figure if a cop stops me I will tell him I am on my way to the parts store. Hope that works as I haven't been questioned yet.

Jack, I do exactly the same thing.  Old guys in old cars don't get hassled too much. 

Yup, a bunch of outlaws....

I doubt we are the only ones.

Funny thing, I was at the Beaches Cruise last night with my friend that is retired from the rail road. He ran into one of his old work mates and they talked for a short time.

Then he ran into another work mate that he is friends with and was telling the second guy that he had just ran into uhh Jim? or was it Joe? Heck I don't remember his name but he was a conductor with me on the gorge run. The second guy thought for awhile and said could it have been Jeff? Maybe Jerry? Did he have gray hair? It got quiet for a minute as we all looked at each other and we all laughed....

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

regulation in Pa.

USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES

The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: "It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses." Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as one day a week.

As I have a number of Crosleys to drive, I always tell any officer that questions me that this is the one day for this car!!!   Once I had one that was apparently watching me stopped me as I pulled into a parking space and questioned me about driving on antique plates.   I told him this was the one day for this week...He replied that He had seen me the previous day driving the same car.   OH I said, that was last weeks driving...My week starts on Wednesday.  He just shook his head and told me he would be watching the following.  I didn't push my luck and drove a different one the next day.   He drove by and tooted his horn as I pulled into my space.    Now please understand this was not malicious....it was all in good fun.  I'm sure he would have laughed and asked for my excuse (which would have been acceptable) even if I had driven the same car.   They are VERY old car friendly in my area!!!

Bill,

Thanks much for the follow up story on the gas station B-17. I had just assumed that it had been condemned as an "unsafe structure" or something by the local code enforcement officials and destroyed. Even though a great local attraction, it's better off in the hands of someone who is aviation-oriented and who may restore the plane to either display or flying status.

Cheers,

Grog