LOUD Grinding Noise Inside Door

Tom_

I went to roll down my, up until this point fully functional, window and was greeted with it moving maybe 6 inches down and stopping with a loud grinding noise that vibrated the door bad enough I thought the mirror would fall off.  At that spot it wouldn't go up or down unless I pushed it down or pulled up on it.  When I pulled up it moved on it's own about halfway back up and stopped again until I pulled again.  Then it caught and rolled all the way up.  With it in the fully up position if I push the window button up it makes the noise like the motor can just turn even when the window is up.  I haven't had time to pull the panel off but I'm betting the window motor is to blame.  Is it usually the motor that fails or the regulator?

I have replaced three window motors over the years. Have the 4th one needing to be fixed when the weather cools off. All of the three had the nylon gear inside the motor ass'y stripped. Believe Ronnie's site has good instructions. Read thoroughly, and BEWARE of the DEADLY SPRING. :o  

Guest Corvanti

i agree it's probably the motor - especially if the window - when it does move up or down - does so in a straight line. my window went up all "cockeyed" - mainly the back went up - and it was the regulator and parts that only had one rivet holding the mechanism to the glass (the rear rivet). 

the first thing to do is pull the door panel off to take a look. it may be possible the motor, window channels, etc. just needs some lube. perhaps there is debris clogging up any of the window mechs - highly unlikely but something to check before tearing everything apart.

here's some info to help with removing the door panel: http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/86-body-a-interior/body-interior/133-door-panel-removal-instructions

If I buy my new motor from the Reatta Store does that benefit you in any direct way?  If not I'll just go to my FLAPS and have the part tomorrow but I appreciate the resource you've set up and would like to support it if I can even if it means waiting for the part in the mail.

Guest Corvanti

Tom_ , parts purchased from "The Reatta Store" does help keep the ROJ site up and running. a very small percentage (4%, i think), is paid by Amazon to ROJ, and is not added to the cost of any product...

If you need the part quickly or can get a better price locally I encourage you to do so.  I consider the Reatta Store to be a service to Reatta Owners to help them find the correct parts they need for their Reattas,  and as Corvanti said, it does help support Reatta Owners Journal (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for considering the Reatta Store when you need parts!