Finished the floor

Rogillio

Looks great!  I think you said this was a 1925 in a different thread.  The accelerator and starter button look different than on my 25 touring.

I call it a '26 because it was built Sept 1926. Technically it is a 27 'model'. If I wrote 1925 it was a typo.

I finally got the metal back from PC and finished the floor. The wood is cherry from trees from our place that I had milled into lumber and kiln dried.

Great job. I used white oak on my 29 DB truck.

My fit of wood decking not as tight as yours. I did not have any patterns to work from.

Yes, they should be slotted. I don't believe any phillip's heads were used on Dodges of the era.

Pretty sure they didn't use cherry wood coated with polyeurathane either. :-)

I was at a car show once and was looking at a 1933 tricked out rat rod complete with chrome exhaust manifold and chrome a/c compressor. Some woman looked at the trunk that was fur lined and said, "Now the trunk wasn't originally this nice was it?" I was thinking, really?! That's the only thing you see on this car that might not be original?! :-)

To be fair, the practise of customising cars of all ages is so prevalent (especially all though not exclusively) in the States these days, it is probably not surprising that the lady didn't have a clue.  Why should she?  Where, apart from a museum, would she be likely to see an original pre war car? and unless someone has more than a passing interest they will probably never appreciate our hobby.  A car is a car is a car...   :rolleyes:

Ray.

To be fair, the practise of customising cars of all ages is so prevalent (especially all though not exclusively) in the States these days, it is probably not surprising that the lady didn't have a clue.  Why should she?  Where, apart from a museum, would she be likely to see an original pre war car? and unless someone has more than a passing interest they will probably never appreciate our hobby.  A car is a car is a car...   :rolleyes:

Ray.

But...but....but....cars are special!  :-)

Best I can find via Google, there are over a billion cars currently on the planet!  Our family of 4 owns 7 of them.  :-)

You are right though...most people would only see vintage cars in movies and museums.....that is why I love dring my 'museum' around town. 

Just for comparrions, I used oak for my other DB Coupe. 

Side note.  The blue Coupe was built July '26 and the green Coupe Sept '26 and I have enjoyed noting the differences.  Some, such as the slightly difference motor which has the oil float in a different location, are different from the factory...other difference are the result of some previous restoration or repair.  The blue car had been previously restored at least once about 20 - 30 years ago best I can tell.  I don't think the green one has ever been restored.  I've net to find any bondo and think the paint might be original....but not sure.  The down side is, the previous owner did only what he needed to do to keep it running and funtional without regard to authenticity.....for example, he took an old 6V generator (probably off a tractor)and made an adaptor to connect to the water pump using the pully that was on the old generator.

But I digress....so here is the floor in oak....also from my timber.

post-142600-0-89780100-1438623531_thumb.

Ah yes!  That oil float being in two different locations depending on the block... when I dropped the pan on my '26 ('27 series) I noticed two different places are provided for the float support in the sheet metal "oil pocket trough".

I remembered what you had said about the varying float locations and it all made sense. :)

Ray.

True, they didn't use varnished cherry or oak back then but unless you're going for a 100 point car and it gets from A to B on a trailer, can anyone really begrudge someone for wanting to use well crafted hard wood?  And from trees on his own property?  I suppose if the car is viewed more as an investment than a hobby, non-originality would be more of a concern.  If minor (tasteful) modifications such as these can be easily reversed then is there really any harm done?  I know... tasteful is in the eye of the beer holder...

• Like 3

The timber frame on my car is by an Australian coach builder (don't know which one exactly) and looks to be original.  Some of the floor boards look like drift wood but I like it the way it is.

Anyone who is that "picky" can go and look elsewhere. :D 

Ray.

• Like 2

Hello Jack.  

My point was that my car has it's original body and the floor is evidence of that.  Changing it to a nice new one like Rogillio has done would in most people's eyes be a big improvement but a car is only original once and that is where my preference lies.  

I am not and never have been a "purist"; the 100 point cars are very nice but I have always preferred ones that are used.  What I don't like is the creation of hybrid monsters from sound restorable stock cars but if that is what you enjoy doing, don't let a grumpy old git like me spoil your fun :D  

Hello Jack.  

My point was that my car has it's original body and the floor is evidence of that.  Changing it to a nice new one like Rogillio has done would in most people's eyes be a big improvement but a car is only original once and that is where my preference lies.  

I am not and never have been a "purist"; the 100 point cars are very nice but I have always preferred ones that are used.  What I don't like is the creation of hybrid monsters from sound restorable stock cars but if that is what you enjoy doing, don't let a grumpy old git like me spoil your fun :D  

My thinking is, it was originally wood...and it is still wood.  Might not be the same kind of wood....but still wood.  What I replaced was so broken up it was not funtional...and like you, I prefer a car I can drive.

There are several 'non original' things in my cars.....the spark plugs, the coil, the paint, the bondo, the door panels, the seat frabric.....the fuel pump.  But I keep the vaccuum pump on the car as it makes for good conversation when I raise the hood.  So far, no one has faulted me for using the little electric fuel pump....and no, it is not hidden.

At anyrate, this is my hobby, my project and my money.  If anyone would like to donate money towards my restoration then we can work towards your paradigm.  :-) 

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

Sometimes it's impossible to restore something back to "totally original" - and who knows what that even means.  Should all the wood I use in the restoration of my 32 DL have been cut and harvested before 1932?  Jeeze, I wouldn't want to be accused of using non-original, modern wood!  I do try to use slotted screws and the original bolts when I can, because it just looks "older" and more like it came from the factory.  I even go as far as grinding off the modern markings on my bolt heads when I can't use my old DB stamped bolts do to rust or replacement, but that's probably going too far for many and it's just my own little nod to keeping her looking right.  As long as you are driving and enjoying your car, who cares?  This is supposed to be fun, not an exercise in obsessive compulsive behavior. :)

In truth, there is no such thing as a completely original car.  For such a machine to exist, it would need to have original tires, exhausts, bulbs, and wiper blades - all of which will be replaced frequently.  Taking it to extremes , even the air in the tires, the oil in the engine and transmission and the smell of the leather would need to be present.  It's a ridiculous proposition.

As an exercise in obsessive compulsive behaviour, some of the concours competitions fit the bill.  I once saw a Jaguar guy polishing the inside of his tail pipes.  Someone else had a mirror to show a highly polished underside.  

Give me strength! :blink:

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Air in the tires?  Ok, now for something completely off topic.....

When I was in HS I worked at grocery store.  One of the girls that worked there was very naive so my buddy and I decided to play prank her.  We were in the breakroom and I casually told my buddy that I needed to have the air changed in my tires.  Our friend Missy heard this and said, "You mean you are supposed to change the air in your tires?!"  We said certainly.  You change the air in your tires just like you change the oil.  She asked where to have it done and we told her a gas station would do it for her.  She said she'd have it done at lunch.

After lunch she came back....but did not say anything to us.  Finally we asked her if she had the air changed in her car.  She said "Yes, the Gulf station did it and only charged me $50".  We came unglued and were about to run down to the Gulf station and kick this guy's ass for taking advantage of our friend.....then she started laughing!  She did go to the gas station and asked for an air  change.  The guy asked her who told her she needed to change the air in her tire and she said some boys from work told her.  The guy told her she did not need to and told her to go back and tell her he'd done it and charged her $50.  So the last joke was on us.

• Like 2

Hello Jack.  

Just a little ribbing Ray.

When I first read that comment I had a little laugh to myself.

I know what you guys are talking about and certainly understand the arguments.

No worries.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Likewise in my tongue in cheek reply Jack!

I sincerely hope I didn't offend.  Just for the record, I know that you don't go around cutting up nice cars.

Incidentally, have you heard anything from 1930?  I wonder if he ever reads these threads.  Times are certainly quieter without his vociferous input!

Ray. 

Change the air in the tires...  I like that one.  'Course, these days some people do change to nitrogen...  My floorboards were in bad shape too so I had to make new ones.  I used red oak which came out pretty nice I think.  I'll try and dig up a photo.

I wonder what ever happened to him.

Just one of the problems with this community is we don't really know our new friends here and what ever happens in our personal lives is a mystery.
I find myself referring to discussions on the forums with my personal friends all the time, Its like I have another unknown family and if I was to die none of you would ever have any reason to know as my heirs done know any of you.

With that said, Maybe Jason broke his computer, or ran over it with his TOYOTA !!

That should wake him up.LOL

If it's a 34 Dodge head gasket I know where he can get one.....

:D Now that would start a proper ding dong :lol:

I know there are one or two good folk who are frankly glad to see the back of him but I hope he is O.K.  Jason's life has been touched by enough tragedy. :mellow: