WTB - 1951 Chrysler engine

I have a 265 "project" a complete industrial engine mounted on a trailer  with full flow oil filter, plus a spare 265 crankshaft and rods "Spitifire" head and possibly a few other goodies.

I know a guy who has a complete flathead Chrysler engine, a 49 I think, and a good 51 Chrysler engine with 6000 original miles on it. No, I am not kidding. Some nitwit had a perfect original 51 Chrysler coupe with 6000 miles on it, and put in a junkyard V8 to make it 'more reliable". My friend got the engine, trans, and possibly the rear end.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I have a 265 "project" a complete industrial engine mounted on a trailer  with full flow oil filter, plus a spare 265 crankshaft and rods "Spitifire" head and possibly a few other goodies.

I know a guy who has a complete flathead Chrysler engine, a 49 I think, and a good 51 Chrysler engine with 6000 original miles on it. No, I am not kidding. Some nitwit had a perfect original 51 Chrysler coupe with 6000 miles on it, and put in a junkyard V8 to make it 'more reliable". My friend got the engine, trans, and possibly the rear end.

Rusty,

What other "goodies" do you have? Does your "project" engine run or turn over?

Does the guy want to sell the 6000 mile engine? If so where is he/it located?

Thanks, Joe

The project engine is in my back yard. It turned over a couple of years ago. As I said it is mounted on a trailer (it used to drive a water pump). I took the head off and looked inside when I got it, the pistons and cylinders looked OK and no rods were sticking thru the block. I could check it again and take some photos if you are interested.

In addition to the head I think I have an extra intake and exhaust manifold with carburetor. A distributor. Possibly a coil, an oil filter, stuff like that.

The 49 engine I threw in with the deal when I sold my 51 DeSoto. The same guy said he was buying the 51 engine from the nitwit, I could check and see if he has it. He has a machine shop in Colborne but lives in Trenton. Or I could give you his name and phone # and you can talk to him yourself.

I also have a 55 Canadian Dodge parts car which uses the same engine in short stroke form, without the full flow oil filter. It is a manual trans model.

2650 miles. We shipped flat 8s to the UK. Plus, it wouldn't be coming here. Freight don't matter if the customer wants it bad enough.

Haven't found any 265. Every time someone says, I got one! It's not a 265 when I have them check it. Like people say they have a 413 flat 6, further searching its specs, its something else other than what they think they have.

Just saying

Dave

I did a heck of a lot of hunting to find a 265. Finally found one in a junk yard. It was an industrial engine, it had been rebuilt and had only a couple of hours on it, when the block froze and split from end to end. Apparently the customer thought the rebuilder put Prestone in it but he didn't.

I got the crankshaft, rods, bearings, 5 pistons, cam, valves, valve springs. The engine had been dismantled and was laying in the back of an old van in pieces. Where the other piston went, and the oil pan, head, etc I don't know.

I also got the industrial engine, complete. It is a 225 cu in model with 3 7/16 bore and 4 1/8 or 4 1/16 stroke. It is still mounted on the trailer it came on new, but the water pump has been removed off the back. It was some kind of big drainage or irrigation pump.

I measured the stroke of the crankshaft before removing it from the block, by measuring from the oil pan mating surface to the crank throw, turning the engine 1/2 turn and measuring again. The difference was 4 3/4". The rods have the headless bolts used only in 265s.