Hershey Camping Resort rate almost double for 2016

mopar_earl

I got my reservation for 2016 emailed this evening from Hershey Camping Resort and it's almost double from this year and 2014 year. I emailed them to see if that's correct. Anyone else get their 2016 reservation yet? Price went up 228 bucks from 2015.

If that's correct, there will be a contracted site come available for 2016.

Thanks,

Earl

If the increase is too much, many, many people

should let them know that it's unacceptable.

Talk directly to the owner or the manager,

not a clerk.

If one person objects, they might dismiss it;

but if dozens do, the message should be heard.

And of course, then, vote with your feet and go elsewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

$85 a night for a group of 5 or $17 each a night is not exhorbidant. It bests the heck out of a motel. JMO. Wayne

That's extremely high rate for a camp site. The $228.00 increase from one year to the next is just outrageous. The campground is old and outdated and very cramped. Than you add the freight trains that run next to the campground 24/7 and the helicopters coming and going from Hershey medical center and the active quarry next to it, makes it very undesirable place to stay. I'd never stay there other than for the fall meet. Not sure with the outrageous price increase if we will keep the site. Looks to be much cheaper to dry camp and pay to run the genset and pay for showers. I will talk to the management in Oct and we'll see what they say and than take a group vote if we will keep the site. Hershey Entertainment is no longer a great asset to Pennsylvania. They are now greedy and corporate ran and it easily shows.

Earl

The owner is Hershey Entertainment & Resorts and they have been pumping a lot of money into the facility. May be the reason for the rate increase. The other option is to stay on site and pay the $45.00 day rate. No hook ups available but you are close by the showers, etc.

No updates done to the Hershey Camping Resort. It's old, outdated and very cramped. Potholes everywhere.

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

Economics 101.  Supply vs Demand.

Lots of campgrounds charge premium rates for Holiday and Special Event weekend/weeks.  $85/night for a prime season is not unheard of for many places... but based on what others have said for the condition/upkeep it would appear higher than it should be; even booking this far ahead to guarantee your spot (another premium).  Perhaps there are planned upgrades - which will certainly take additional funding.

I think all will agree that the consumers will determine if the price is too much when next year rolls around and the place is empty.  Although I certainly doubt that; as the date nears, the pricing would have to be lowered to start filling spots... and then it could raise again when there are limited spaces.

That being said... most private campgrounds prefer to have set rates to avoid people comparing rates the week they are staying.  :)

It is right?  Is it wrong?  Is it greedy?  -dunno but the future will decide.  :)

Happy Thursday!  aka "Soft-Friday"

Ok, I did not want to get in a war of words here but yes there have been upgrades with new cabins, heating and a/c in the restroom facilities, new bus stop and they are working on a new wi-fi set up that many not be done in time.  I am local and saw the new cabins so I knew they were spending SOME money on the facility.  Those upgrades were not the reason for an increase.  However, I talked to the manager that handles the Hershey auto week and she has been telling everyone to relax as the rate structure sent out will not be the rate charged in 2016.  She advised me that a new team setting rates was not aware of the seven day stay requirement.  So, in 2016 your rates will not be as high as previously stated. She was not able to say at this time what the rate was going to be. 

I get to see first hand what Hershey Entertainment does for AACA and the car hobby.  They are in business to make a profit as all other businesses are but their profits help fund the Trust which operates the Milton Hershey Schools.  HE & R does a LOT to help the fall meet and the hobby that is not seen by the average person. They are a great corporate partner with the region, national club but Hershey is like many other destination sites that are not inexpensive to stay.  When a lower tier hotel can charge $200 a night most of the year then you know things are not so cheap! 

Hopefully the new rates will be reasonable enough to make everyone happy in the coming year. 

Ok, I did not want to get in a war of words here but yes there have been upgrades with new cabins, heating and a/c in the restroom facilities, new bus stop and they are working on a new wi-fi set up that many not be done in time. I am local and saw the new cabins so I knew they were spending SOME money on the facility. Those upgrades were not the reason for an increase. However, I talked to the manager that handles the Hershey auto week and she has been telling everyone to relax as the rate structure sent out will not be the rate charged in 2016. She advised me that a new team setting rates was not aware of the seven day stay requirement. So, in 2016 your rates will not be as high as previously stated. She was not able to say at this time what the rate was going to be.

I get to see first hand what Hershey Entertainment does for AACA and the car hobby. They are in business to make a profit as all other businesses are but their profits help fund the Trust which operates the Milton Hershey Schools. HE & R does a LOT to help the fall meet and the hobby that is not seen by the average person. They are a great corporate partner with the region, national club but Hershey is like many other destination sites that are not inexpensive to stay. When a lower tier hotel can charge $200 a night most of the year then you know things are not so cheap!

Hopefully the new rates will be reasonable enough to make everyone happy in the coming year.

I sure hope your right. My group voted no on renewal for 2016. I was already billed so I have my doubts its wrong. Especially after calling and being told it was correct. I will wait till the show and see what they say. Until then I won't pay my balance.

Couldn't tell you about the bathrooms or cabins. I have an rv so I don't use those. The camping areas are what I know and they aren't very good. Again, I only stay there cause of the show and the close proximity and shuttle buses.

It's not so much the rate (which is high for what you get) but the almost double price jump. That's just greedy. The place sells out for the show. No need to take advantage of ppl beyond the normal price gouging.

Earl

Earl, all I can say is I talked to the manager and I have no reason to doubt she was stating the truth.  I also deal with people from HE & R all year long and when she explained what happened I accepted it as the truth.  No greed was involved.  As a former business owner of 30 years I know to well that the pressures of overhead on a business are real and margins slim for a lot of people.  Price increases are inevitable but the price increase that was sent out is going to be reduced. 

I will talk to Nick when I get there on Sunday. She's my go to person. I haven't even put the required deposit down not alone pay it. Holding off till I get with Nick to see what she says. I forget the lady that's in charge of the contract sites, Pam maybe? Anyways, Nick will get me answers. She's my New Zealand secret weapon lol

Earl

I'm a 'HAPPY CAMPER' every year I just make it to Hershey!

We overrun the whole area every October and I've never run into an unfriendly merchant, policeman or resident. They work hard for us. If they can make a few dollars during meet week they should.

(Someone had to say it!)

I kinda  have an out for this problem, I have been staying there since the late 70s early 80s every year, but starting last year my daughter moved into an apartment right across the railroad tracks from the campground. I stayed with her last year which was great as her and my wife could run around Harrisburg/Hershey. And she works at Hershey world so I use her car with a parking pass (free parking) or if she works I just ride with her! Plus if I need to go back to her place I can catch the shuttle bus back to the camp ground a short 5minuet walk to her place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My neighbor has been coming for 30 years and they said they won't be back with the sky rocket price increase.

Nothing has changed. Place is still run down with pot holes. There are 4 WiFi connections but none of them work. The cable TV reception is crappy. Than you add the train and quarry yet. Just can't see the place being worth what they want. I've stayed in much much better campgrounds for fraction of the cost.

We'll be taking a vote among the 5 of us if we will continue staying here.

They changed the contract and increased the deposit as well.

Just not feeling it. Especially after spending half an hour trying to get on their WiFi system.

Earl

We booked three nights at the Hershey Resorts campgrounds with our camper and the charge was $165. This includes hookups, wi-fi, etc. I think that's perfectly reasonable especially since we'll be so close to the show.

Dirt cheap. I'm paying 366 for 7 days this year and 534 next year for 7 days.

WiFi doesn't work.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl (see edit history)