331 hemi hydraulic lifters

Hello, I have the lifters out and cleaning them up.  Should there be any squish or movement at all after cleaned up and filled with oil?  They do get firm but can be moved maybe a 1/8 inch.  Otherwise they seem in good shape and was just trying to prevent problems before going back together.  Thanks, Joe

Guest Bob Call

A set of new stock lifters are not expensive. If you can't get them from NAPA or Advance contact Hot Heads Research & Racing at www.HotHemiHeads.com. They have all the stock and hot rod parts for all first generation Chrysler Corporation (Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge) 51 thru 58 hemi engines.  Owner Bob Walker is the guru for these old engines. If you patronize him he will be happy to answer your questions. Go to their website where in addition to their new parts catalog they have a swap/sell page for used parts and a Q&A forum.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

I have always filled hydraulic lifters in a plastic cup full of oil. Submerge the lifter in the oil and use a pushrod or screwdriver to depress the center while it is submerged. They won't be LOOSE after that, but will move with pressure.

Guest Bob Call

Also, Rock Auto www.rockauto.com stocks a lot of parts for your Chrysler. Lots of times they are the cheapest on brand name parts.

They get firm but move maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch after filling with oil and that's with a good push.  One does have more give but does stay firm. 

They still had oil in them and weren't too dirty but had sat for a long time.

Thanks for your help, Joe

Hey Bob, I see you on the HH tech page often.

Have you been having trouble getting on there lately?

I get a message that "tiki" is not set up correctly.

ah65, lifters are relatively inexpensive, but if they are firm should be OK. Do a good check of the cam lobes.

Cam and lifters should be changed out at the same time as they wear together.

I guess the question is why do you have them out? If they are noisy on start up then I would change them. If the engine was running quiet then put them back in. They should go back in the same location. Probably not a HUGE deal if they are mixed up but like I mentioned they break in together with the cam lobe.

Fun stuff those Hemis.

Have them out because the car was stored and engine was stuck.  Engine still in the car but new rings and rod bearings and going back together, cam's still in.  Engine is fairly clean and low mileage so just checking things as I go.  And heads off with valve job.

Joe

Guest Bob Call

Jack, I got the same message trying to get on HH tech talk forum. Must be a problem with their server.