Any records for LeBaron-built cars?

CBoz

Hello -- I just bought a 1938 Lincoln K with coachwork by LeBaron. Does anyone know if the build records still exist for LeBaron? I'd be interested in finding out how the car was originally configured (color, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

For all pre war Lincolns you can contact the Henry Ford Museum library in Dearborn, MI.   They will have the original build sheet for your car by your serial number Kxxxx.   What body style do you have?   Coupe, conv coupe, or conv sedan?    

Hey K8096 -- It's what they called a convertible roadster, but I'd call a convertible coupe.  Here's a pic. 15-footer with bad paint and lots of little things that need to be taken care of, but solid engine and good bones (i.e., the framing wood looked nearly new and from underneath the sheetmetal showed only surface rust).

I've been through a couple ground-up restorations including my '37 Zephyr, so I know I have a lot of learning to do and there will almost certainly be some "surprises" along the way, but I'm going to take my time and do it right.

post-76616-0-92579900-1438047831_thumb.j

post-76616-0-93366700-1438047863_thumb.j

post-76616-0-62269600-1438047926_thumb.j

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

That's a great car.   I have the coupe version of that which is the same body shell but with a roof on it.  Just an FYI in case you didn't know, the main body tub is steel, but the doors, deck lid, golf club door, and top of the cowl are aluminum.    The hood tops are aluminum as well, while the hood sides are steel.  LeBaron built these bodies "in the white" and Lincoln trimmed them to order.  For example, my car has a full leather interior with the leather specified to be ordered from a specific company that was in the town the buyer lived.  When you get your build sheet, it will tell you where it was delivered, original color and trim, and any accessories it had. I wouldn't re restore it. Just drive it the way it is.      

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Great looking car.  Has wonderful lines.... 

If LeBaron built them "in the white" (that is, primed and delivered to factory), then is it a LeBaron bodied car, or a factory car with a LeBaron built body?  There's a difference. 

For example, just about every Pierce Arrow convertible sedan body was built by LeBaron, to Pierce Arrow design, and delivered in the white to the Pierce factory for installation on a chassis.  These are NOT LeBaron bodied cars, but rather a factory Pierce car......

I agree with Jason's term "Catalog Custom".  Same with the 31 Pierce Lebaron bodies (and Stutz, etc) as 6-12 of each style was built and delivered by LeBaron for installation by Pierce.  Still coachbuilt but not exactly a full custom where the chassis is delivered to the body builder.

Hello All -- Thanks for the advice K8096 and all the encouraging comments from K8096 everyone else. I was looking at the Henry Ford Museum site, and they do have the old production records, including color, etc. This assumes of course that Lincoln did the final assembly, and since LeBaron roadsters were "catalog customs" I'm hoping that's the case.

It may be a couple weeks before I can bring the car home, but when I do I'll be sure to post some pictures. I'm looking forward to putting it side-by-side with the "baby" Zephyr and seeing how much bigger it is.

PS -- The seller said he thought the original color was a canary yellow(!), but I didn't see any signs of overspray on the underside and the dash and interior are black.  I'm hoping he's wrong, but if if the buildsheet shows he's correct, I'll have something to think about ... ;)

Thanks to K8096's advice, I ordered the production records from the Henry Ford. They will be here in a few days, but I got them to tell me the original color was black (which I suspected since the dash is black). The original carpets and foot rests in the rumble seat area are tan, but all the seats and door panels are black. Seems unusual not to match the carpet to the seats, but who knows...

So what it's looking like until I learn otherwise, is a black car with black leather seats and door panels, tan carpet and tan top.

I saw an all original 1937 LeBaron coupe 20 years ago that was painted black with black leather seats and door panels, and then a tan cloth headliner and sun visors, and tan carpet.  So it appears that combination was used more than once.  That's a lot of black on a car.  If you go back to black on the paint, I'd be tempted to go with a red or maroon leather interior.  No one would knock you for it.  Most of the dash boards on the late 30's K Lincolns were painted body color, but I have seen a couple where the car was black and the dash was painted a medium grey.  One was a conv sedan and the other coupe.  Both were original cars.      

Follow up from the Henry Ford:

Car was originally black as indicated. Body number and type indicates it was convertible roadster built by LeBaron of Detroit and the car was shipped on 11/18/37. The sales number was 28556, but I don't know how to read this. Also, the trim code is "1309" but when I called back, the folks could not tell me what this translates into. Unfortunately, they didn't copy the original production card, so I can't confirm the fenderwells or radio, but I'm assuming they are original.

So, I've made a little progress.  I know it was a black convertible roadster, but that's it.

You should ask them to copy the original production card, both sides.   They did for me 15 years ago.  It will say things like if it had a monogram originally, the color of the pin stripe, the key numbers, axle ratio, color of the convertible top & leather.   I'd give them a call back and get that.  You don't want to rely on their interpretation of the data, you want to see it for yourself first hand.      

I called the Henry Ford back, and the person went back and found the original production card and sent me a copy.  I now have confirmation that the car was painted all black, had fenderwells and a radio. Interestingly, the buyer requested that the *right*-side arm rest be deleted.  Who knows why.  The car was shipped to "Alexandria," but it's not clear which Alexandra.  If I'm reading it right, the car left on the "PR" (Pere Marquette?) railway and was transferred to the "LP" railway.  Still need to find out what the trim code means, though.

post-76616-0-06337100-1438989426_thumb.j

post-76616-0-16403600-1438989447_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the copy of your Production Card.  It is nice documentation to have with the car. 

However, I am surprised it is still available for that year, as I thought all records before 1962 were supposedly lost in the Rotunda fire. 

Craig.