Value of this 1939 Lasalle

karasmer

Let's say starter is just jammed and the body alone has got to be worth a pretty penny, just checking what these survivor cars have sold for in the past makes me think it's worth easily into the 10-20 grand range. but I could be way off...

Let's say starter is just jammed and the body alone has got to be worth a pretty penny, just checking what these survivor cars have sold for in the past makes me think it's worth easily into the 10-20 grand range. but I could be way off...

If it ran and drove well and has pretty decent interior, maybe in the $6-$9,000 range. As mentioned $20,000 could buy a #2 car if you shopped around.

If that car is worth 10-20k I'm leaving the hobby because I have no idea what is going on.   Not running in that condition *maybe* it is worth 5k because LaSalle somehow brings more money than your typical beat up mid-market 4 door sedan.

Yep, you're way off. The body isn't anything terribly valuable by itself (it's shared with Buick and Oldsmobile) and a car with a seized engine isn't exactly "survivor" material that would command a premium. Simply being old and unrestored doesn't denote a "survivor" and equate to bonus value. If simply being old and not rusted into the ground meant a car was a valuable survivor, we'd all be cashing big checks.

I think the $1500-2000 range you've heard here is the right range for a project 4-door in need of a lot of cash to get back into running condition. I'd wager that you could buy the finest 1939 LaSalle 4-door sedan for under $30,000. This isn't a big score, it's a parts car waiting to happen...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

From the one picture it would be a shame for this car to become a parts car. It has a very solid look from this angle.

It is easy to forget there are a lot of people out there not playing in the popular car market, but quietly doing home shop " restorations" and driving four door cars. The entry is often reasonable, the four door is scorned because of the cost factors of bringing them back. Popular wisdom, put your money in a car capable of a high end value for the marque. And because it then becomes a item headed for top end value, even more money must be spent so it will be worth.

That is not for everyone, and there are a lot of backyard folks out there preserving cars that others pass by.  My hat is off the these multi-talented guys who preserve these cars in very corner of the planet. 100 points is not necessary for their purposes and enjoyment, or even desirable.  Jim43

For an interesting program on people keeping their 50s American cars going with rudimentary equipment. " Cuban Chrome" is the program. The extremes they must go to to keep their mostly four door Detroit iron on the road is eye opening.  I mean really, burn the enamel or paint off of a refrigerator panel to get a piece of sheet metal to hammer a new body part out of. Very creative folks who love their cars.   Jim43