acetylene light question

I'm sure you are correct. It's not a light specifically for this truck or maybe not even specifically for the military. I guess my question is why copper plate brass? If it's for rust proofing that's kind of suspenders and a belt. And if so why only the outside as the inside was not plated? It was and will be OD green.

my understanding of the plating process is that steel must first be copper or brass plated before it is chromed...not sure if the same process goes for nickel plating

I know that the military painted bright work on a regular basis so as not to draw attention to itself...

this may have been a spot light that was diverted to the paint shop prior to the final plating process.

Steel does not have to be copper plated... but the plating is more durable if it is copper plated.

As stated above, the military wanted only drab, non reflective surfaces on all vehicles (as well as uniforms and arms), a process that began around 1902 and has continued to the present day. Its also extremely unlikely that the light was made to a military pattern. It was either supplied with the truck or purchased from an outside vendor.