DAVES_BUICKS

Recent BOD Minutes on the Forum

John and Matt:

Yes it was me. Since Gene Phillips was not there to give the division report I jumped in and gave something impromptu. (I also did this at the 2016 meeting at Allentown.) Simply stating that we had several hundred members world wide. We had opened up membership to all straight 8 Buicks. Also that the division was active with tours and such. I sited the spring tour to Wilmington NC. Also that we were doing fine.

Best Regards:

Larry DiBarry

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have not posted to this thread in a while because by now I figure most of the readers know the BOD minutes have been posted regularly to the BCA web page.  Such is the status of the October 2017 BOD meeting minutes.

John,

Thanks. It is nice to have a reminder to get caught up on reading the minutes. Some interesting discussions. 

6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I have not posted to this thread in a while because by now I figure most of the readers know the BOD minutes have been posted regularly to the BCA web page.  Such is the status of the October 2017 BOD meeting minutes.

So how does a member that doesn't tune in to the BCA Forum and doesn't belong to or participate in a local Chapter find out what's going on with the BCA/BOD?  Shouldn't all the minutes along with a detailed annual financial report be published in the BUGLE? I would think that these duties would fall under the SOP/responsibilities for a Secretary and Treasurer (CFO) respectively. If you say that everyone has a computer nowadays and should know how to turn it on, why is the BCA still publishing the paper BUGLE?

Please advise. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is no requirement to post the minutes in the  Bugle.  There is a requirement to post the financial information once per annum, which is up to the Treasurer/ CFO.  As for those who do not have access to the web, they can request copies of the BOD minutes from the Office.  The office receives a copy for the files at the same time the documents are sent to the webmaster to be posted.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, JohnD1956 said:

There is no requirement to post the minutes in the  Bugle.  There is a requirement to post the financial information once per annum, which is up to the Treasurer/ CFO.  As for those who do not have access to the web, they can request copies of the BOD minutes from the Office.  The office receives a copy for the files at the same time the documents are sent to the webmaster to be posted.

JD,

Since there is no requirement, I suggest that the BOD should either make it a requirement or include a discussion of all the key points in the President's "message from the board" each month in The Bugle.

On 11/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, 1953mack said:

So how does a member that doesn't tune in to the BCA Forum and doesn't belong to or participate in a local Chapter find out what's going on with the BCA/BOD?  Shouldn't all the minutes along with a detailed annual financial report be published in the BUGLE? I would think that these duties would fall under the SOP/responsibilities for a Secretary and Treasurer (CFO) respectively. If you say that everyone has a computer nowadays and should know how to turn it on, why is the BCA still publishing the paper BUGLE?

Please advise. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Not trying to be controversial,  but a member in the situations you mention is probably not interested in the BOD  minutes.

Ben

• Thanks 1

Thanks John. Nice to see BOD members are calling expired members to see why they haven't renewed. Seems like many reasons, but Chapter affiliation came up a bit and I definitely see that being something to keep members involved. Thanks to the BOD for all of their work.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

John and Tom:

Need to read more carefully but I missed the part on calling expiring members.  Was that in the beginning of the BOD minutes wrap up?

It was on page 4 of the December Teleconference transcript.

10 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

John:

File #:   2017 2018-17  - Chapter Coordinators - what is going on with that motion?  I looked in 2 different areas and did not see an explanation

Thanks for your comments Jake.  Regarding the enclosed above,  the motion is to revise the SOP # 17, and the rules and regulations section on Regions.  The current sections are confusing and contain redundancies.  SOP#17 currently is a list of tasks without any cohesive direction.    The revisions were in a separate document previously shared with the BOD members, and that entire document will be in the March Bugle, opening a 30 day comment period.  The revisions to SOP 17 were drafted from the perspective of what a newly appointed incumbent should do in order to give some guidance of what's expected from them.  It covers Regional Directors and the Regional/Chapter Coordinator.   The Regions section of the Rules and Regulations was also revised and care was taken to make sure the two sections complement each other.

• Thanks 2

John,

When does a 30 day comment period start / end, when it is based around the Bugle?  There is a large variation in Bugle delivery times (setting aside the electronic at present).  In my mind, all members should have an equal opportunity to comment, but throw in a bit of vacation or similar with a delayed delivery, and some members may have no opportunity to comment.

Perhaps the BoD should consider making a 60 day comment period more standard, as a thought.

6 hours ago, Thriller said:

When does a 30 day comment period start / end, when it is based around the Bugle? 

This particular change will be in the March Bugle, with an April 30th cut off date for comments.  That won't be 60 days but it should be more than 30 days for just about everyone. 

• Thanks 1

some light reading:  http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/BCA2018-4MeetingMinutes.pdf

See the conversation in Addendum 1:  the last paragraph on page 9 for those without the time or inclination...

Who in their right mind would call in the IRS for an audit just because they can't get their way.  Our unpaid Chief Financial Officer will be spending valuable time dealing with this; the BCA accountants along with a tax attorney will have to paid to deal with this and will cost the club thousands of dollars (probably yearly for the next 10 years).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Not clear as I didn't peruse it closely but did the party actually go through with it? If so, you're right, the ramifications could be costly.

• Haha 1

And who is Dick Beckley?  Why is his input included in the discussion?  Why are some of the Board members silent during the discussion?

Edited by old-tank
comment would have been removed anyway. (see edit history)

Little Peyton Place.  

My .02 worth. If we want professional leaders we must pay for them.  I certainly would not do what these folks ,past or present, do on a voluntary basis. What a THANKLESS position.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Not clear as I didn't peruse it closely but did the party actually go through with it? If so, you're right, the ramifications could be costly.

Yes.....He did talk to the IRS and asked for an audit.

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Yes.....He did talk to the IRS and asked for an audit.

Well there goes a good chunk of the $600k. Going up against the IRS is never cheap, whether you're in the right or wrong. And I won't try and judge whether they were right or wrong to have  called for an audit,  just that it is sad that they thought that was the only recourse and possibly felt forced to do it. Not healthy for the club. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Health issues forced me away from the forum for a few months.  now trying to catch up and I am sorry I did.  IRS serves one purpose, and that is collecting money to keep the lights on in DC, and elsewhere.  Never mind their waste in DC.  The problem seems to be that we had some "less than proper" accounting over the years.  Rather than wait for resolution and updates by the new firm.  In looking back, we should have never engaged a club members to take care of our accounting needs, but used an outside firm.  Now, I predict every chapter and dIvision will need to get their  "books in order" for this audit.

Not that we do not have enough problems with growth, now we have this mess.  Hate to cast blame, but  as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

John 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Speaking as a member of the Club and this forum, and not under any pretense as a spokesperson for, or on behalf of, the Board, I would suggest that this is just another thing to get through, and it is not the end of the world.  Regardless of any assertions that may have been made, the Club has always filed its proper tax returns, and always paid the tax due.  It has followed proper accounting practices and, to the best of my knowledge and belief, no one has any evidence to the contrary.   And while it is possible that some associated organizations may get called into the mix, the fact is that none of the local chapters or divisions piggybacks on the BCA’s financial, so there is not a big risk to them because of action at the Club level.  But it is always true that they should all have their books in order.

At this point the Club appears to be in the best possible position to weather this storm.  And it may help to look at this from the perspective that if there is something incorrect, then best to find out sooner than later.  Since we are in year three after the loss of our prior accountant and hiring a new firm, it’s a good time to get a check up on the procedures.  And, with many thanks to the prior Boards and the efforts of prior treasurers and CFO Bill Stoneberg,  if there is anything due the IRS, the Club appears to have adequate reserves to pay up and get on level ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, John and thanks for you service to OUR club!

My reaction to the minutes:  :o:angry:!!!!

There is a lot that I want to say, but the moderators would censor.

I'll try the general membership  and board meetings, but am not hopeful:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin

• Like 3

Please everyone don't be shy at the General Membership meeting that is the only time you get to voice a thought in person, rather than here or in an email or heaven forbid a phone call! Thanks! hope all have a safe trip see you soon!

• Like 1