CCCA wake up!

My husband belongs to the CCCA, and I get to come along for the ride. We don't own a Full Classic at this time, but we sure do aspire to own one. For now, we settle for our classic era 1937 Buick Century.<P>If the CCCA was all about owning a Full Classic, then we wouldn't even be welcome at their events. Luckily for us, the CCCA is really all about appreciating these fine examples of automotive history. Even if we never have the opportunity to own one, we'll still be satisfied members of CCCA. And I'm sure there are many others like us who would be happy to fill out the CCCA membership roles, if they understood what the club has to offer.<P>Jan K.

For JanK<P>You are ALWAYS welcome at Classic Car Club Of America events...no matter HOW you get there !<P>We welcome anyone who has a legitimate and sincere interest in the technology and history of the classic era, and is interested in learning WHY we started this particular Club for the unique purpose it was created.<P>Of COURSE it is true that we originally got together to try and save only the "best of the best". In the early 1950's, there was no such thing as "nostalgia" and "old car buffs" as we know it today. True, there was a small circle of people interested in antique cars (an "antique" is a car built before 1918...before electric headlights, self starters, and other "modern" conveniences) and some stirring activity in the Antique Owner's Club (why people call cars built AFTER 1920 "antique" beats me)...but you have to understand..people made FUN of old car buffs...and LAUGHED when the cars were junked or otherwise destroyed.<P>We saw a special value in the "best of the best", and thus the CARS we focus on, are the largest, heaviest, most powerful luxury cars of the 1930's. But again..the PEOPLE we focus on are those who have an INTEREST in what we are as a Club, and WHY we like these fine old engineering masterpieces. Of course a non-classic CARS cannot participate in our events, but that dosnt mean we look down on old cars. Most of us are involved in various OTHER old car clubs, so we appreciate your interest !<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs Arizona<P>WELCOME...and stay around..and have fun with us.....!

Peter, <P>Although I agree with your postings on this and other sights (Packard Chat Board). I must disagree with you statement regarding automobiles prior to 1918 not having electric lights and starters. Although many cars did not offer these "modern" conveniences, the 1912 Cadillac offered both.

• 6 years later...

Gentlemen,the thing that bothers me in this thread is not what is said in this thread,but what is not said in this thread.Why isn't some one jumping for joy that now a Dorris or Stevens-Duryea Model E might actually be able to join and be dispayed at CCCA Meets.As the surviving examples were built prior to 1925.Funny someone mentioned the 1917 Locomobile as in in that year J.Frankin DeCausse designed the first Dual Cowled Phaeton body which was mounted on a Locomobile 48 hp Chassis. I have riden in a 1918 Locomobile Dual Cowl Phaeton that was Custom Built for General Jack J. Pershing and found its ride and comfort equal to the 1929 Pierce-Arrow 7 Passenger Sedan,the 1930 Marmon Big 8 Dual Cowl Phaeton,and the1929 Franklin 4 Passenger Sedan I also road that day.The Full Classic car didn't come out nowhere.People like J. Franlin DeCausse, Karl Martin,Leon Rubay and others laid down the Designs and pioneered the Elements that led to the Full Classic Car and they have been denied some of the recogonition due them.A thorough study of the 1915-1925 era would be enlightning to the CCCA membership.. Gentlemen if you don't where you came from,you can never know where you are and where things went.Gentlemen, why has no one mentioned the 1000 pound Gorilla in the room,The Great Depression,and how it warped the Automobile market and led the Changes that make the Classification Commmitees job a bear.Well thats a start,But one more thing.The Squeaky little Mouse in my pocket,named A. Nony,is getting a little tired of so many people using his name.Be Courteos and register your name and use it. It makes it easier to keep people straight and it is not hard.P.S. I am tired of being one the few commenting on the Full Classics in the Your Garage part of Jay Lenos Garage website..Thank You.

How the demographics have changed. The CCCA was founded by and originally comprised largely of college educated professionals with a sense of humor who shared an interest in automobiles from a clearly defined classic era, 1925 through 1942, with postwar examples allowed so long as they were carryovers from the prewar era.

Now we have people shouting "Wake up" and branding those with an interest in CCCA Classics "geezers," even as they wish to join. This is tantamount to urging the Shakespeare festival to include the work of modern playwrights, or a classical music station to play rock, country or hip hop.

Similarly, there already exist wonderful organizations for the enjoyment of Lincoln Zephyrs, junior Packards, 1934-40 LaSalles, as well as Dual Ghias, Cadillac Eldorados, Bentley Continentals, et al: the AACA, the Contemporary Historical Vehical Association, and the Milestone Car Society, among others.

Why the interest in glomming onto the word "classic?" It won't make your already interesting old car worth anymore. In fact, there are any number of Fords worth vastly more than many CCCA Classics.

There are clubs for every car already, without diluting the concept of a CCCA Classic.

If you want to enjoy Edward Albee or Susan Sontag theater, you don't come to a Shakespeare festival. If you want to listen to jazz, folk or rock, you don't tune in a classical station. If you're a WWII buff, you don't curse Civil War reenacters for not allowing your Jeep on their field.

Why is the above so difficult for so many people to grasp?

I'll second what West just stated! Funny that I rarely scroll down to the CCCA Forum but did just now. I've always thought it was nice that one club held the line on what is and is not accepted car wise. I've never been a member but did have a Packard roadster and a Lagonda project years ago.

• 3 months later...

One point on demographics. If you go through old CCCA magazines and look at the who were in the club, it's always been a bunch of old people. At bit younger in the 50s, but I think for the last 30 years or so the a median age has probably held steady around 66/67. I attribute this to two things, one it costs some money to buy a classic and secondly tastes refine with age.

Guest Chuck Conrad

I understand what you are saying, but the problems really aren't as bad as predicted. Of course that could change. The good news is CCCA is replacing members faster than it loses them. That has been a trend for quite some time. Current membership is a little over 6100, which is an all time record. It is not all doom and gloom. CCCA is an acquired taste, and certainly not the first choice of people just getting into the car hobby. It never has been .

Incidentally HCCA also seems to be doing well. I don't think they have any members who were alive when those cars when they were new. CCCA is working its way into the same situation. There is a lasting value to quality, and the cars of both clubs represent that. Even if you couldn’t drive them, people would still want to own these cars.

I don't mean to minimize the problem of finding members to keep a Region active and vibrant. That is hard to do. Our Regions tend to ebb and flow, as new groups take over command from their predecessors. Interestingly, the "new" people who come along seem to be about the same age group as their predecessors when they originally became involved. It has always been unusual for someone under 40 to be active in CCCA. 50 is more like the average entry age, and 60-70 is more normal for the typical "active member."