1916 Buick

Joe in Canada

Going to look at a 1916 McLaughlin Buick touring on Thr. can anyone tell me how to identify what series it could be. I am told there are three starting with a d45 I think being the smallest and all 6 Cyl. Also is there much value differences in them. I have never had a Buick so I am as green as grass.

Don't know about McLaughlin's offerings in 1916, but in the US there were 4-cylinder models (30-series) and 6-cylinder models. In US, the D-45 is the smaller 6-cylinder model; the D-55 is the big one. If you can't find the model number on the firewall data plate, which is where it should be, then measure the wheelbase.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

The D55 has a 15 In. longer wheel base than the D45 than I am assuming it would be a 7 passenger by chance???? I will take my camera for some shots of it. The fellow that owns the car is 80 so I am assuming it is an old restoration.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

McLaughlin had a 4 cyl and 2  6cyl models, the larger engine was Buick , the small six ???

Wheel base to 124" (7 pas). I think the sixes were d60 models.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

We got there but the car is not for sale. Very nice fellow has owned the car from the 80s. We bought two brass carbs and a nice dust cap from him. He also has some very nice complete touring doors for sale at $100. each for 4 of them or offer expensive I thought see picture.

post-125099-0-97000700-1437614799_thumb.

post-125099-0-49131200-1437614842_thumb.

post-125099-0-60171600-1437614875_thumb.

post-125099-0-06456400-1437614916_thumb.

post-125099-0-29868000-1437615047_thumb.

post-125099-0-03334300-1437615084_thumb.

• Like 2

Joe, that Buick looks to be in very nice condition like Pete says.  Buick exported the chassis to McLaughlin and they built their own bodies.  From what I see in the engine photo, the car is not a 1916 model.  It is a 1917.  1916 and 1917 were the D-Series, however, there were mechanical improvements for the 1917 built cars.  The dead giveaway is the rocker posts and rocker arms.  The 1916 models had a grease cup in the top center of the rocker post with plain rocker arms and a slotted rocker shaft on the top side.  The 1917 models had a plain rocker post like in the photo here with oil wicks in the bushings.  The shaft was also plain.  Subtle differences, but different just the same.  The engine number will tell the story on just what year model it is designated as.  Thought you might like to know this in case you ever run across another one.  Oh, and by the way, it is a Light Six because of the single piece cylinder block casting.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

McLaughlin also had a smaller 6 based on an Oakland. No U.S. Buick similar model. Only a few known survivors. I am not sure if it was available as early as 1916 {D series} but definitely by 1918 {E series}. The big 6's B 55, C55 and D55 are very scarce, less than 50 or so of all years plus a small handful of model 54 roadsters. The 45's are nice cars and reasonably common. Replacing the body wood is a big job in any of these cars.

Greg in Canada

Joe:

Been there .. done that. I think this has happened to us about 4 times. Except once it was only a 2 hour drive. Another time it was arranged that I was to stop by to inspect a partially restored 1918 E-45 in West Virginia. We called a half hour away and all was good. By the time we arrived the owner changed his mind and would not even let us see the car. That was only 3 hours out of our way.

We had a 9 hour drive back from a pre-arranged purchase of a 1923-54 sport Roadster. Agreed upon price and check in my pocket and just had to wait for the transporter. Called the owner the day before (Thursday) and said we would inspect, test drive and pick up the car tomorrow (Friday). He said that was great and would see us when we arrived around noon. Since he was self employed he would be free. We arrived at his place at 11:30 A.M. Prior to our arrival we had called every hour from 9:00 on to make sure he was available. No answer .... We drove back 15 miles to the town where his office was and was not anywhere to be found. By 2:00 we finally made contact.. He said he thought we were coming.... tomorrow.....and the car was not ready yet. He did say that he could be at his place within an hour and that we could remove the tarp and check out the car.  The car was exactly what Joan and I wanted. When he finally arrived at 3:30 and we could calm down from our rage. I said I had the check and still wanted the car... lets go for a drive in it.... Then the excuses started about all the "sorting out " work that needed to be done which I assured him I wanted to take care of. But he did state that the car was drivable as per our agreement. Well, he could not even start it let alone be able to drive.  So that was our 9 hour return trip experience.

• 2 weeks later...