Retro- Radios question

Rufcar

Has anyone used this 1963, 1964, 1965 Buick Riviera Radio, USA-230 Custom Autosound system?

If so does it fit properly into the factory bezel? I want to remove my more modern CD/ Radio system and put in something more modern but still looking classic.  I found a supplier for new front and rear speakers that fit and I am removing the 2 parcel deck speakers today and combining them in to the one rear armrest speaker then installing the original rear defrost and new Clark vinyl deck. Tkx

I have the 630, it mocks up just fine in the dash, I havent wired it and cranked it up yet, but I did get the dash assembled with no problem.  The problem I do have is their 'replacement' speaker is a tad larger and it hits to the top of the radio, which is one of my next projects to work on solving.  Its not the radio, its the speaker

11377106_1028932467136601_74113215522200

I used this Retro radio but not in the stock location.  What I like is that the face plate folds down to play CD's and it will also has a jack and a usb port.post-142495-0-24527500-1437256079_thumb.

Here is a link http://www.classiccarstereos.com/product/USA4-DIN-Radios/USA-4DIN-C.html

I also installed a subwoofer, under the pass seat to add some depth to the music

Edited by rapom (see edit history)

Here is a shot I just took, I have been stringing the wires, ducts and hoses for the Vintage air this morning.  The radio is in.  a bit tight against the vintage air ducts, but if you have factory air it will fit no problem.  I will be wiring it and finishing the AC stuff tomorrow.

The manual for the radio says they do 4-8 Ohms

The problem is the speaker hits the upper trim panel (with the courtesy light and antenna switch)  Not alot but enough for me to not like it

post-128466-0-29362400-1437257715_thumb.

Edited by alini (see edit history)

I decided to keep my after market radio after all as it sound great and has a cassette player (I have many hundreds of cassettes) When I did my rear deck yesterday I had  thought. Why not use one of the newer removed speakers in the center rear seat and combine bout left and right speakers into one. I did that all I have to do not is install the rear seats and center speaker right after I finish the carpet tomorrow!

BTW I now have a brand new center rear speaker that I will sell as I bought it on line this week from one of our ROA suppliers who sold me the rear half of the speaker kit! Its $55 free S+H if anyone is interested.

post-96353-0-93675500-1437402558_thumb.j

I have the 630, it mocks up just fine in the dash, I havent wired it and cranked it up yet, but I did get the dash assembled with no problem.  The problem I do have is their 'replacement' speaker is a tad larger and it hits to the top of the radio, which is one of my next projects to work on solving.  Its not the radio, its the speaker

11377106_1028932467136601_74113215522200

Chris, did you see this speaker from Retro Sound? http://www.retrosound.com/searchresults.asp?cat=8732

I had a local guy here re-cone my original speaker.  The nice thing about doing it that way is 1) you know it fits, 2) the wiring is plug and play, and 3) he used modern materials so that the paper is eliminated.

I had the original AM/FM rebuilt (along with a reverberator) and will be installing a Redi Rad from Brew City Engineering.  It allows you to connect any type of device using a simple plug.

https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3&zenid=5bff03f2e950f598ba1fcabf19203abb

It's factory correct for all you purist but allows me to listen to music of my choice.

Ed

To add to what Ed said above. I recently had an AM-FM radio redone and I would like to recommend to others the service that I used. I had received his name through another ROA member. Robert Pacini, Precision Stereo Repair, 315-797-5219, oldstereo@hotmail.com. I am very happy with the work he did on my radio. It looks and sounds great. I also thought his fees to be very reasonable. In addition to the other things that he did to my radio, he supplied me with a better quality 6 X 9 rear speaker to which he added the same exact connector as the OEM speaker had. He also added a 5 foot female pigtail(you can specify from 2-5 feet) to the radio and supplied a 2 foot male to male connector so that I can also play my ipod/mp3. He was very conscientious and easy to work with. He must be doing something right as he is very busy and as a result the waiting period is 2-2 1/2 months. It was worth the wait. Bill

• 5 weeks later...

In the process of researching what radio to use in my '65, I've noticed that some of these folks offer to convert your original with modern internals whilst retaining the stock appearance. Seems like a nice setup but the price for this seems quite steep. Has anyone on here had theirs done?

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have everything bolted together, and it operates fine.  I dont like the fitment of the speaker grille in the dash, but its not bad.  One corner sticks up about 1/8 inch higher than the rest.  The grill isnt in the best of shape and I couldnt find better online, so I used what I had.

I bought the Custom Autosound 630 and their appropriate 'dual cone' speakers. The system is installed and working fine, the only slight problem being the same as Alini's. Luckily, I had my dash pad recovered over the old existing stuff which raised the speaker grille just enough for the magnet of the speaker to clear the area Chris mentioned.

Steve