Wanting to buy 1924 parts

Guest Mark.S

Guest Mark.S

Looking for 1924 12volt horn, Amp gauge and brake light. Located in Australia, willing to pay for shipping as parts are hard to find here.

I have a spare amp gauge.  I will try to rememeber to take a picture of it to night.  You can have it fore free but not a penny less.  Just pay shipping.

So shipping I will hand carry it....so just buy me one RT first class ticke to Australia and I will bring it down!  :-) 

Just kidding. 

I will post a pictutre and if you think it will work, you can PM me your address and I will mail it to you.  I will pay the shipping down if you will mail me back something Australian!  Preferably something uniquely Australian and alcoholic in nature.  :-)  Your call....nothing big or expensive.

Well I may have spoken too soon. The car I am working on had an extra ammeter in the trunk. I think I know why. I didn't know if either worked so I did a little test. I used a charger as my source and a battery as my load. I put a DMM in series to verify I had current flow. I saw a little deflection on one meter but done on the other one. It was a very crude, off the cuff test....I can do better. I will see if I can find a better load and source.

post-142600-0-86338300-1436998858_thumb.

post-142600-0-79658100-1436999114_thumb.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

Guest Mark.S

It's not the right tail light for a '24.

Would you have a picture of the correct tail light? My car did not have one when i found it. 

I realized the scale on one is 0-20 and the other is 0-12 so much more deflection in the smaller scale....but they both work. PM me your address and I will mail the ammeter.,

The 20 amp ammeter is for 1926 & 1927 only with 6 volt. Better hang on to it as they are very elusive to find. The 12 amp is for the 12 volt systems.

Ammeters show up on Ebay quite often.  12V horns seem to be more scarce than 6 volt horns.   You could try Myers Early Dodge as they do sell used parts (not listed in their catalog; you need to call or email them and ask).

Ammeters show up on Ebay quite often. 12V horns seem to be more scarce than 6 volt horns. You could try Myers Early Dodge as they do sell used parts (not listed in their catalog; you need to call or email them and ask).

I converted my 6v system to 12v. The horn sounded awful. I got a 1 ohm power resister and put in series with the horn dropping the voltage seen by the horn to about 6v. And it sounds great.

trim.CD30C025-0A85-4CE3-8FF6-65AE7C674030.MOV

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark.S

Thank you Mike, The ammeter arrived today  :)
I now have a full set. Might be a while before they go in the car.

I hope you enjoy your package that will be posted on Tuesday.

Kindest regards

Mark

post-146842-0-98517300-1440155160_thumb.post-146842-0-07568300-1440155208_thumb.

Guest Mark.S

Its not just the steering wheel. The accelerator is in the middle with the brake and clutch either side of it. I wondered why it would be like this. Only thing i can think of is that the exhaust runs under the accelerator and both the brake and clutch go through the floor.

post-146842-0-78469000-1440160484_thumb. 

The central accelerator is a necessity in RHD cars because there is no room for it to the right of the brake pedal.  The central location is not a problem as it sits forward of the clutch and brake. A quick retraining of the right foot and all is well - except for the totally inept who would probably also struggle with the unsynchronised gearbox.  

Edited by TonyAus (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, got the package of really cool Australian stuff! Thanks brother! Very cool!!

Very glad you liked it. The Amp gauge looks good on the bench next to the oil gauge and speedo. Can’t wait to have them in the car and working. Did you like the Vegemite? 

Still looking for a 12 volt horn and brake light for a 1924 DB if anybody has one for sale or knows where i can get one. I was told you can get a plastic horn but don't know where??? 

Anybody replaced the timber spokes on a 24 inch rim? Can they be purchased?

I am in Australia so will not be shipping wheels there and back.

I could sent two of both the front and back and replace the spokes myself.

So a phone is not new fangled but a computer is? That may be a little selective. 

So a phone is not new fangled but a computer is? That may be a little selective. 

Yes......they are selective........HOW selective depends upon the local Bishop.

Chances are the phone is not theirs and will probably only record messages and after a time they will call you.

I know of two other Amish establishments that do business that way.

You may have extraordinary wood working skills, but there is a lot more to rebuilding a wood wheel than cutting out new spokes. You and your family will be riding on these things at over 40 mph. Better make sure they are tight, round and made of the correct wood. I'm no expert, but I watched the old guy who did my 29 Plymouth wheels years ago and he pressed the new spokes in with a contraption that would have taken five times as long to build as cutting out the spokes.