1991 Polo Green in Holland, MI

Guest jimmyk

Guest PontiacDude210

I've got the link under local finds a few threads back. Looks like a sharp car even with higher miles

Yeah, and the paint looks ok too. The last polo green I saw for sale already had some clearcoat failure (early stage) on the roof. Since I have boxed myself in with too many cars for now, I can only look on in frustration at deals like this one. I could sell the scrub 88 but isn't worth it as it still needs work so it's resale value is impaired. Besides, I like having a "spare" 88.

Looks like a good deal.

I have owned 4 green '91s and am currently parting out the last green one made. I didn't really want to but I sold a tan console and then realized I didn't have one except in this complete car so I sold it thinking I would replace it. I then sold a couple more parts off the car and last week I sold the complete working sunroof so I guess it is now for sure a parts car.

Oddly hesslakeguy who posts on the forum lives near by this car and has a very nice low mileage green '91.

Guest my3buicks

No, as far as value but for someone's personal tastes they might like to have that bragging rights of saying it's the last green once built.

From watching Reatta's for a few years color doesn't have a lot of impact on their value, The only trend I see is blue interior cars tend to not do as well

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest HessLakeGuy

You are correct Jim, that car is not too far from where I live. That one has 130,000+ more miles than mine does.

Even though it is close by I did not know it even existed.

Tom

Guest PontiacDude210

All the out of state folks looking at the rust, and us Michiganders are just like "No holes, no leaks, no problem."

Ouch. I know Michigan has longer and harsher winters than Missouri typically, but a bit surprised at the amount of rust. We do see that here but I wouldn't call it common. If the engine and rear suspension cradles/bushings and brake lines are still solid then it is ok for a daily driver. Overcoming that amount of rust in so many places probably precludes it from a show-worthy restoration. It could be done, but the cost would be prohibitive. The interior is surprisingly well preserved however (even the carpets are clean and unfaded) and would be worth saving for parts once the car is retired from service. A good candidate for a 2nd or 3rd Reatta for one of us obsessive collector types, as it can then be parlayed into a parts car when the time comes that it is no longer road worthy. That is my take anyway.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

I've had many drivers with that level of rust, we just replace the metal lines and undercoat, fix broken frame segments, it's not uncommon in MI I find patched or replaced frames.

Hey, if you can keep it on the road that's great, as long as it is safe to operate. And really, that was my point. This car is beyond restoring to show condition (by any normal financial sense given current valuations) but could still be a good driver you don't have to feel bad about exposing to winter weather. And when it is no longer safe to drive, it will make a nice parts donor for another car provided it isn't abused/damaged from it's current state. That's why it would probably be beneficial to an existing Reatta owner to buy it as an additional car.

KDirk

I've had many drivers with that level of rust, we just replace the metal lines and undercoat, fix broken frame segments, it's not uncommon in MI I find patched or replaced frames.

Please don't be offended... You just gave a perfect example of why people I know in this part of the country, (East Tennessee), rarely consider buying a car from up North.  I'm sure there are some nice cars up there too but there are to many basically rust free cars down here to have to deal with rusted frames. Buyers down here frown on undercoating. It can hide too many problems.

Guest PontiacDude210

No offense taken. I would inspect the lines on this one, undercoat it, blast and paint the rusty spots on the body and drive it proudly. But us northerners have different standards.

I really want an s14 Sylvia but I haven't found one yet in state without a patched frame. MI is the top salt user in the U.S. and it shows.

Guest PontiacDude210

LOL, I am a northerner(salt belt) and I wouldn't buy one that rusty.

Somehow I knew you would show up and say that.

I've had a few rusty cars. I've dealt with pressure line replacement, subframe replacement, floor pan replacement, it's not that expensive if you do your own work. If you're driving for your own enjoyment instead of bragging rights of a rust free car, you can enjoy one that rusty. Of course if I didn't buy a rusty Reatta I wouldn't have one at all.

However, I'll give it this. My more recent coupe is about that rusty with similar mileage. I paid $800 for it in similar condition. My first coupe I paid $1k for had been undercoated new and is nicer underneath. The asking price on this one is a little high.

Edited by PontiacDude210 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

When the undersides get that rusty structural integrity starts being compromised thus does safety. I doubt that car would even passed PA state inspection.

Guest PontiacDude210

When the undersides get that rusty structural integrity starts being compromised thus does safety. I doubt that car would even passed PA state inspection.

When they start getting that rusty, frame rails need some inspection and help a lot of the time. I can't really argue with you, it is a ton of work.

Guest my3buicks

I have to agree with some of the others, even for a cheap driver you are better off doing a day trip to a more southern location and driving a clean one home, and the price difference really isn't that great to have a better car.

Guest my3buicks

there were a ton of pictures originally in that link with lots of underside shots - it wasn't pretty underneath

Yes and there was what I would call "moderate rust" at the front bottom edges of both rear wheel wells, fairly common on Reattas that spend a lot of time in the salt belt. It was beyond the point of simply sanding, repriming and painting - the sheet metal was actually distorted and rotted by rust. So, that portion of the lower rockers is effectively shot barring cut out and replacement of sheet metal. And as Keith said the underside was pretty rusty as well. Not the worst I've seen by any means, but getting along. I'd be most worried about the cradle mounts and brake lines based on what I saw.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

All this talk of rust made me nervous. I'm happy to report that my current driver is in much nicer shape underneath, although my current project is in fact a little scary in the back. The rear sub frame mounts may need attention... but my driver hasn't progressed in its rusty glory since I bought it, a product of not seeing salt in the nearly 4 years I've owned it and 8 years prior on a car lot. Also a lot to do with being Ziebart protected from the time it was new.

This is just my opinion... If someone is dumb enough to send payment for this Reatta, or any other car, based on photos posted in a Craigslist ad they deserve what they get.

The moral of this story is what I said in post #13 "The seller must be an honest person. Otherwise they would never have provided so many photos of the underside of that car."  If the seller wanted to hide the rust he would never have given out a link to those photos. If a seller is unscrupulous and wants to take advantage of you, and you are dumb enough to allow it to happen, then you will get burned.

Again, in my opinion... We didn't save anyone from getting burned with all this talk about rust on the bottom of the car.  At best we saved someone from making a trip to check this car out, as they should have, before they gave the seller a dime of their money.

I get it Ronnie, you don't like me.  Another example of following up my comments with "your opinion."

Jake,  If I come across as not liking you I apologize for giving you that impression. I don't apologize for me giving my opinions on a forum. You are giving your opinion and I feel I should be able to do the same as long as I do so in a civil manner.

Do you think everyone who disagrees with you does so because they don't like you? That is not the case with me. I don't know you well enough to form an opinion if I like you or not, As far as I know you are a fine fellow. My comments are not about you, or not liking you.  My remarks on the forum are in response to things your say - not who you are. My opinions don't always agree with my best friends on the forum either. That doesn't mean I don't like them or I'm mad at them.

You said: "Someone had opined to leave these for/sale ads alone and not muddy the waters with comments". You had to know that I said something along those lines in another thread and I would feel it was directed at me. I was referring to negative comments that might hurt the seller's feelings or his chances to sell his car.

Your sentence I quoted above is what prompted me to comment on your post. It had nothing to do with not liking you or following you around. If you post anything in the AACA Reatta forum I will see it. Not because I'm following you. It's because I read every post to this forum. I have read them all for years and I will continue to do so in the future.

It wouldn't matter who made the statement quoted below. My response would have been the same. My comments were certainly not intended to offend you or anyone else. My comments were just me giving my opinion on what was said in my own way as I have done for the last 8 years. I'm not a good wordsmith so my posts come across direct and to the point, sometimes in a harsh way but that doesn't mean I don't like someone. It's just me being me.

Can you imagine if one of us had purchased that car based on the original CL ad because of the pop culture fascination we have with Polo Green cars?  Someone buys it based on the photos, has it transported in or even goes and picks it up and thinks WTH?   Thanks to this forum, that was avoided.