Whining sound from rear when on partial load Buick -48

Guest wacker

Guest wacker

Hi

I got a Buick roadmaster -48 with Dynaflow that got a whining/howling sound from the rear when driving.

You can hear it under partial load and it peaks around 50 MPH. If you either starts to accelerate or take you foot of the gas it goes away. It also goes away directly if a just make a slight left turn.

The fact that is changes depending on the load of the rear axle makes me thinking about the rear axle but since it changes when I make turns is strange. Is it possible that that the rear wheel bearing sound will change depending on if im accelerating or not?  Or can the sound from carrier bearing/gears change when you make a turn?

Happy for any advices on what I should do. I already got new wheel bearings on the shelf that I can use. But should I also buy more parts like carrier bearings before I take it apart at all?

Regards

Stefan 

Guest wacker

From what I understand gear and ring noise should normally be during acceleration and should not either change when turning.

From what I have been able to find carrier bearing sound can change when turning on cars with c-clips(I believe this differential got it).

Its not easy to find anyone experienced in rear ends around here and I dont like the idea with leaving the car at a shop for weeks. I I dont do it by myself I think I would rather take the whole rear end there. 

In any case it would be nice to hear if anyone else had the same noise and got it fixed.

Get some differential bearings on hand (Rockauto or Amazon) and take the rear cover off.  If the gears look scored, put the cover back on and enjoy for the season or until replacements are found.  If all 'looks' good check for side play in the carrier and after that is removed, check for obvious play in the pinion:  thrust and side. Inspect, clean and service the axle seals and bearings.  Check back with your findings.

Willie

• Like 1

Guest wacker

Get some differential bearings on hand (Rockauto or Amazon) and take the rear cover off.  If the gears look scored, put the cover back on and enjoy for the season or until replacements are found.  If all 'looks' good check for side play in the carrier and after that is removed, check for obvious play in the pinion:  thrust and side. Inspect, clean and service the axle seals and bearings.  Check back with your findings.

Willie

Sounds wise. Thanks

The sound has been there from when I bought it 4 years ago but after renovating both the dynaflow and the engine it feels like I should do something about this. I hade the cover removed last winter and I did not see any scored gears there so I would not expect it now either. Can the differential bearings be easily removed with the differential on the car? I had a quick look at the shop guide but I dont think its obvious on how it is done. I will remove the axles anyway to replace the wheel bearings.

For the rest, how many have flushed the differential in their car? Or are you still running on whatever was in there, whenever it was attended to at all; or just topped off when the car was on a rack.

Changing the differential juice car be a hard job, hard enough to get neglected.

One car I did had probably never been touched. I had to remove the lowest third member stud to drain the really black stuff out after warming it on a 30 mile drive. Then I drained that and it was brown. I refilled and took it for another 30 mile run and drained that. The third time I drain clear honey gold 90W. Even though I knew it was good I had drained it just to be sure I was happy. I drove about 100 miles with cleaner and cleaner oil and probably charged $350 or 400 bucks. The events that never happen; priceless.

Bernie- honey gold in my stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wacker

Got the bearings replaced now and I am almost done with the assembly. Do anyone have a good description on how to set the differential side bearing preload?

The manual says that it should be unloaded untill the race stops turning but I cant get that working. Maybe the new style of the bearings acts differently.

I understand on how to set the backlash but the preload seems more complicated.

Both the wheel bearings and differential bearings had some marks on it so I hope thats what has been creating the whining.

Thanks

Stefan

Guest wacker

Its now assembled and it seems like the noise is gone. I have just done a shorter test trip for about 5 mintutes of driving.

Will test more tomorrow when its not that dark outside.