2017 and 2018 National meets

lancemb

2017 is in Brookfield, Wisconsin, outside of Milwaukee. The Cadillac/LaSalle Club just finished having their national meet there a couple of weeks ago. I understand the BCA wants to have the 2018 meet somewhere in the Southwestern US, but no decisions made yet. That's all I know.

Pete Phillips

2017 is in Brookfield, Wisconsin, outside of Milwaukee. The Cadillac/LaSalle Club just finished having their national meet there a couple of weeks ago. I understand the BCA wants to have the 2018 meet somewhere in the Southwestern US, but no decisions made yet. That's all I know.

Pete Phillips

to add to this the 2017 meet will be the week of July 4th.

Guest my3buicks

That's a tough travel week, all travel prices are up, hotels are more full and travel traffic is heavier. Also a family get together weekend for many.  Poor choice for date but good venue.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Besides the meet is the weekend AFTER July 4th. Gives you time to get there.

Not to mention, the hotel prices were much cheaper that week, then they were anytime else during the summer season.

Fireworks on the lake in Milwaukee, I can think of worse things.

Guest my3buicks

I guess for those that want to finally be able to get a car judged in the BCA 400 point system it will have to do since we can't this coming year.  Wow, 2 years until we can get fresh cars and restorations BCA judged.  A sham I mean a shame. 

So do you have one that you restored and need to have judged or are you just stirring  s**t ?  

Flint has done this twice in the past 15 years and I didn'tt hear you complaining.]

As someone who has his car ready for the Flint meet in 2008 but it was not judged, I was affected.

I had no issues keeping it ready for the next meet...

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

Nope, I have one that is ready to be judged and a year from now I could have another or several more that need judged, who is to say.  I wasn't thrilled with the Flint meets not being judged either - the 100th celebration maybe the exception.  The BCA's anniv has little to no bearing on whether there is a real national or not. Let's face it, it's a joke to hold a meet for a clubs birthday and not have it act as a regular national meet as well.  I guess not calling it a national meet is supposed to hide the fact, lol, didn't work.  There is no reason why a "special" meet can't cater to all members wants and needs.  Wow, can you imagine the AACA saying there would be no judging at Hershey on a particular anniversary of the AACA?   When it comes down to it, I doubt the club had much say in the decision if the meet was to be held at the location it is being held at.   Consistency in a national clubs judging program is needed for the awards to continue to be desirable and relevant in the automotive venues.  Two years Bill is an unacceptable amount of time for people to wait within a marque club for their cars to be allowed to be judged, it also breaks consistency in judges training and participation.  There are many ways judging could have been accomplished at the meet to keep it in check - a substantially higher  registration fee could have been charged for those wanting cars judged under the 400 point system and would have allowed those wanting to be judged that opportunity.  There are lots that have no issue with a non-judged meet, but there is also a fair number of members that do.

And Bill, what if I were just stirring s##t, as a longtime BCA (much longer than you I would assume) I have the right to ask questions and give opinions on how the club should run, especially without be questioned about it by you.  The only way things are discussed is if someone asks the questions and makes the comments. 

Without wading too deeply into this, it is to be considered that these forums are publicly accessible, so having discussions that ought to be members only is not necessarily the best in this venue.

Having a car judged is a want, not a need. Frankly, having a Buick eligible for judging is generally a luxury beyond the needs of life (food, clothing, shelter).

Guest my3buicks

That would hold completely true for even going to a car show - it is a want, not a need.  Actually for people that restore cars, having a car judged is technically a need to obtain some degree of a pedigree for a car, even insurance values can be impacted on a cars pedigree.  So if we are spending money for a want, then we should fully get what we pay for. 

Unfortunately we won't hear from many that are opposed as they don't want to be pegged as trouble makers or upsetting the apple cart, that is a weakness of many people not being able to ruffle a feather or two.

Derek, there is little other way for members to have relevant discussions since there are no closed sections for members.

Guest my3buicks

This used to be an interesting and useful thread...

Well your comment didn't add anything interesting or useful so what's your point?

I understand we presently don't have that capability. In an organization concerned with declining membership, I just don't think it wise to air dirty laundry in public.

As for establishing value, in my neck of the woods a professional appraisal is the only thing that carries weight, especially when compared to an amateur volunteer judging process.

Guest my3buicks

Professional appraisals have little value in my eyes when selling a car r buying a car for that matter - just look at ebay at all the ridiculous prices with professional appraisal mentioned - I think the professional appraisers are the same ones that bid on cars at the high end auctions for unrealistic prices.  Some particular cars can be nailed a bit closer when being valued by an appraiser, but at best it' a crap shoot.  An appraiser is only as good as his particular knowledge of every one vehicle - I learned a good bit about that when I was doing work In my area for an appraiser out of Florida - I looked at cars I knew nothing about and had to go by condition, some experience, and what I could find on the web to make a decent opinion of the car.  No appraiser is able to look at every make and model of car and truly know what they are looking for/at - again, it's a guestimate.

It has long been established that AACA, CCCA and single marque judged national awards add value to a car and certainly make a buyer more comfortable with the level the car is likely at. 

Declining membership has nothing to do with dirty laundry and more than likely there is little anyone can do to prevent it - it is a sign of the times and a trend to other methods for car owners to enjoy their rides.  It's certainly not unique problem to the BCA or even a unique problem to the old car hobby.  Clubs were a product of the 50's that had a good run but the best of times are behind them.  The good and bad has been aired and discussed for years on the forum - why would you think that it would be different now?  That also is not something unique to the BCA but goes on on every forum or chat site about every club or organization.