Retro-fitting Coolant Overflow 65 Riv

izo369

Would like to install an overflow reservoir for the radiator.

Has anyone done this?

It seems straight forward, run the overflow hose from the radiator that drains onto the street and hook it up to a reservoir.

Any suggested mounting locations or suggested vehicle the reservoir should be sourced from.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi. I've done it to my '64. What I used was a British tank as used on E Type Jaguars, and MGBs etc.  It's a pressurized tank, so requires a suitable hose between it and the rad. also a non pressure cap on the rad. It fitted nicely on the left inner fender. They come up on Ebay from time to time, and the advantage is the rad. is always full.   Cheers, Dale.

Adding the overflow tank is a good idea. I've bought the larger aftermarket tank that used a wire basket to hold the plastic tank on some B/C body Buicks and noted that it was the same that GM parts also offered. But yes-not enough room for use in those E body Rivs. About 20 years ago on a boneyard trip I spotted a smaller one on a Ford Ranger or Mazda B2000 that I was able to mount on the inner fender of my '66 Riv-good luck. Dan  Mpls. Mn.

Hi. I've done it to my '64. What I used was a British tank as used on E Type Jaguars, and MGBs etc.  It's a pressurized tank, so requires a suitable hose between it and the rad. also a non pressure cap on the rad. It fitted nicely on the left inner fender. They come up on Ebay from time to time, and the advantage is the rad. is always full.   Cheers, Dale.

Will you post a pic of how you mounted it?

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi, Cool 57. Would be happy to, but have never mastered posting pictures, or anything else, come to that.  Cheers, Dale.

If you want the rad to draw the coolant back into the rad when it depressurizes then you need a cap that seals to the lip of the rad as well as the base of the neck. This way it will suck the coolant back into the rad rather than air from around the top of the rad cap.

This will keep your rad full to the top rather than having expansion room inside the rad.

Guest Dale in Vancouver

On the setup I used, the rad cap seals only the top, not the neck, the pressure being maintained by the cap on the tank. This is how it was done on MG Bs and E Type Jaguars.  I've fitted this system to a couple of previous cars, and it works extremely well. 

On the setup I used, the rad cap seals only the top, not the neck, the pressure being maintained by the cap on the tank. This is how it was done on MG Bs and E Type Jaguars.  I've fitted this system to a couple of previous cars, and it works extremely well. 

This places system pressure on the overflow tank much like an expansion tank in a hot water heating system so a correct overflow tank must be used. GM systems do not pressurize the overflow tank but only use it as a no/lo pressure reservoir to capture overflow coolant volume and provide same for coolant system refilling via the contraction of cooling system volume, hence the 2 gaskets on the GM style cap.

Tom Mooney

Im sorry I don't have any pictures of the tank installed, but below is the exact tank I bought for my dad's 64.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Radiator-Coolant-Overflow-Bottle-Tank-Reservoir-603-001-/400917659830

It clearly doesn't appear to be stock where I put it, but it fit over to the left of the radiator (passenger side) in between the radiator and horn area.  I used a zip tie on the top and bottom to secure it.  I ran the hose off the top of the radiator, to the front of the vehicle around to the side of the radiator and passed it through there along the radiator support bracket to attach to the bottom of the tank.  I then used a standard cap from napa so it would suck the fluid back in when it cools.  I keep about 3 inches of coolant in it and made a "fill line" with a sharpie marker.

Next time I get over to my dad's house Ill take a picture....

• Like 1

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi Tom. You are quite correct, that's why I used the tank I did, as described.        Just to clarify, it is an expansion tank, and was designed as such. 

• 3 weeks later...