1953 Horn Switch on Steering Column

WillBilly53

Does anybody know where I might be able to find the horn switch and plate that mounts to the steering column. Does anybody make an aftermarket part that might could be retrofitted? I replaced the horn ring wire that goes on the inside and solders to the brass/copper? ring, but I'm missing the plate and switch that mounts on top of the opening on the column for the wire from the wiring harness to plug onto. On a side note, I've read many threads here and gone over the description in the manual, but my head just can't grasp how the horn actually works.

Think of it this way:

The horns themselves, are powered by the Relay.  The relay is activated by the horn button. 

The power is constant to the horn button, and when you push on the horn button the power circuit is grounded, and completed.  That activates the Relay which then sends a higher level of power to the horn units.  

I think I got that right.

Thanks Willie and John. Now I have a picture in my head of what I'm looking for and better understanding of how it works. 

Lamar, you know I can put some spit on my hand and finish those trenches up for you. maybe a little trade for a horn button and maybe that Tee fitting for the vacuum line? I'm busy today, but I can swing over tomorrow. I'll call you this evening.

Thanks fellers!

Lamar, you know I can put some spit on my hand and finish those trenches up for you. maybe a little trade for a horn button and maybe that Tee fitting for the vacuum line? I'm busy today, but I can swing over tomorrow. I'll call you this evening.

Spit might work but I prefer gloves. Come on over, I'll be on the lower side of the barn tomorrow