had the old girl in a car show today

wildcat1562

Sounds about like the local car shows around here. 80% to 90% of the cars are modified, hot-rodded, customized, souped up, etc. The ones with the most chromed accessories and most obnoxious exhaust noise and fattest tires usually win. In a few more years, there won't be any original cars left and people who restore them won't know what is correct and original and what isn't. I don't even go to local car shows anymore because they are usually a waste of time.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• Like 2

I'm with Pete on that!   I only went to one local show last year and I attended as a spectator.  It was actually more fun that way. Saved $20.00, walked through, saw a bunch of friends,  saw what cars I wanted to see, and was home in time for lunch.  Turned out to be a nice day.

A majority of the shows in my area have much the same.  I'm ok with it because the money from each and every entry goes to a charity.  That is always nice.  However, the rodded/custom cars are not my cup of tea.   Although I do enjoy seeing the modified/hot rod cars a majority of my time is spent admiring the originals. Speaking with the owners.  This is my interest.    Some shows will make classes of each kind.  Original, survivor, best restored, best modified, etc.   This helps level the field a bit.  But, for me, going to a car show is a day away from work and the daily grind.  It is a day spent driving your pride and joy.  Time spent talking to those that have a genuine interest in your car.  If I go home with a trophy it is all that much better.  But, if I brightened one persons day with my Buick then no trophy will trump that.  I find that those that had driven, owned or remembered the cars as they were are your one best fan of the day. As such, certain types of shows I attend.  I attended a show at a retirement community.  The smiles, talk and stories the Buick brought from the retired folks at the home was nothing short of priceless.  One woman openly cried as she remembered her 55 Buick. A Buick her mother said she could not drive or park because it was too big.   It is days like this that make owning and being the caretaker of an original does my heart proud.  

Just remember. Every dog has his day.  I know I have had mine with my 54!  I have a shelf of trophies to prove it.  But, I have a slew of stories from those that remember them back in the day.   These are the best!   

• Like 2

Those ol' boys with the chromed and souped up 57 Chevies spent a lot of time (and $$$) refinishing, detailing and cleaning to be sure every square inch is perfect.  Anyone who puts in that much effort can win trophies.  I am too old, fat and lazy to put in the effort anymore; besides I proved a point that a Buick can routinely win best of show.  I go to shows to visit the many nice and interesting people and encourage the young ones.

Willie

• Like 2

Those ol' boys with the chromed and souped up 57 Chevies spent a lot of time (and $$$) refinishing, detailing and cleaning to be sure every square inch is perfect.  Anyone who puts in that much effort can win trophies.  I am too old, fat and lazy to put in the effort anymore; besides I proved a point that a Buick can routinely win best of show.  I go to shows to visit the many nice and interesting people and encourage the young ones.

Willie

It is funny Willie, some shows I go to people walk by the Buick like it is mini-van.  Other shows people flock to the Buick.  It is hit or miss.  But, like you said, meeting people, enjoying the car and the day is what it really is about.  

• Like 1

Sounds about like the local car shows around here. 80% to 90% of the cars are modified, hot-rodded, customized, souped up, etc. The ones with the most chromed accessories and most obnoxious exhaust noise and fattest tires usually win. In a few more years, there won't be any original cars left and people who restore them won't know what is correct and original and what isn't. I don't even go to local car shows anymore because they are usually a waste of time.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I'm with Pete on that!   I only went to one local show last year and I attended as a spectator.  It was actually more fun that way. Saved $20.00, walked through, saw a bunch of friends,  saw what cars I wanted to see, and was home in time for lunch.  Turned out to be a nice day.

Willie

It is funny Willie, some shows I go to people walk by the Buick like it is mini-van.  Other shows people flock to the Buick.  It is hit or miss.  But, like you said, meeting people, enjoying the car and the day is what it really is about.

Ditto on all counts.

• Like 1

your right guys

I was just a bit disappointed

380 some cars and only 3 buicks

I never seen so many chevy's and olds

most where corvetes and the olds where 442

I never seen so many 442 in one place

all the olds stuff was hoped up

and there was my little 52 buick ; - )

people kept tell me the hood opened wrong

or asking how I got the hood to open like that

its stock man

that factory

that car fell on me 5 years ago and got me a helicopter ride to a trama hospital

it took me a long time to get back at it

and then to get it to the point its at I am very proud

thank you all for your comments

and I need to take them to heart

post-77883-0-10848500-1436239407_thumb.j

• Like 1

Your disappointment was justified.  It's hard to sit at an event and watch hundreds of people pass you by.  But to some extent it's predictable. Just like you found the 3 Buicks in the crowd, those Corvette guys and Olds guys found the half dozen cars just like theirs.  Your eyes see Buicks, theirs see Olds, chevies, and whatever they brought. 

The one thing I hear from Buick owners all the time is "I wanted something different".

You have that, and from what I see in your picture, you have a mighty fine example of that something different!  Take it to an all Buick show, and you'll find the crowd that appreciates the difference.  Drive it in a parade, and your experience will tell you, you have THE car!!!  Take it on a breakfast run and folks will be salivating over it. 

Choose your local shows carefully, and don't lose hope.  Probably half the people that pass you by are awestruck, but on a mission. They see advertisements with portholes and here's the real thing.  But the line for the food vendor and porta johns is a mile long...

• Like 2

380 some cars and only 3 buicks

That is what sets you and your Buick apart.  Something different!     Let's face it, 380 cars is a sea of paint, oil, chrome and hopeful owners.   I can assure you any show I have attended with 300 plus cars I never even got a nod let alone a trophy.   Such is life.  But  I can say I have a bunch of friends with original cars that go to shows with me, caravan and enjoy the day talking shop.    That is what keeps me in the hobby!   I'm not much for bowling, fishing and golf.  The car is my hobby!          

• Like 2

In the early 50's when I got involved in cars, Buick's were NOT thought of as COOL cruise pieces, so very few after market parts were offered. That added to young people NOT buying a Buick.

I had a bunch of Buick's because dad was a BUICK dealer, I will say though that I didn't hear/get picked on because I drove a Buick. With that said, my friends of the 50's grew up, then bought what they had as a kid so to me it explains why Chevy, Fords and others are the choice of many. No SURPRISE to little ole/old me.

When YOU dare to be different and drive a Buick, just enjoy the ride, personally I don't need all the attention, enjoy the crowd/friendship that's there for the taking.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Your disappointment was justified.  It's hard to sit at an event and watch hundreds of people pass you by.  But to some extent it's predictable. Just like you found the 3 Buicks in the crowd, those Corvette guys and Olds guys found the half dozen cars just like theirs.  Your eyes see Buicks, theirs see Olds, chevies, and whatever they brought. 

The one thing I hear from Buick owners all the time is "I wanted something different".

You have that, and from what I see in your picture, you have a mighty fine example of that something different!  Take it to an all Buick show, and you'll find the crowd that appreciates the difference.  Drive it in a parade, and your experience will tell you, you have THE car!!!  Take it on a breakfast run and folks will be salivating over it. 

Choose your local shows carefully, and don't lose hope.  Probably half the people that pass you by are awestruck, but on a mission. They see advertisements with portholes and here's the real thing.  But the line for the food vendor and porta johns is a mile long...

Well said John.

The important thing when going to a local show is just enjoy the day and the drive in your Buick.

• Like 1

"The one thing I hear from Buick owners all the time is "I wanted something different"."

Exactly word for word what I said when looking for a classic.    :D

I / We are a member of this "club"  "I wanted something different"

That along with my Wife saying that when we go to car shows, "We don't win any trophies, we go to get smiles"  and smiles we get when we let especially the kids get up on the truck and get their pictures taken. That to us is very gratifying and what it is all about. Maybe it will interest at least one youngster to develop an interest in old cars.

We do not own any signs that say "DO NOT TOUCH", etc.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I will agree with you Larry except one time I let a family of three young boys get in my 56 and they nearly ripped the signal light stalk from the steering column.  In a way it was comical as the oldest guy got in first and slammed the lever up and down like a stick shift.  The middle boy was worse though. He saw his brother do it and I could see in his eyes that he was not gonna let his older brother outdo him.  I had to stop that kid in mid track.  I held onto the lever when the youngest went in and deflected his hand as he tried to grab it. 

The sad part was the parents were right there and did not stop the boys, or take the opportunity to explain that that was not appropriate, although they did thank me profusely for letting the kids get behind the wheel. I have let others in it since then, and it is gratifying.  The last kid I let get in it was a gangly 14 year old boy.  He just settled in and was awestruck!  Very respectful kid! 

I went to a local show last year when a family of four approached my car.

They were all eating hot dogs, hamburgers and the father a sausage sub loaded.

Everything was dripping with condiments.

You can imagine my fear, worry, frustration, when every member of the family stuck there heads through the windows, with the food at their mouths, eating away like no tomorrow. and without a thought of placing the food behind them to take a look inside the car.

Same show...

A man in his wheelchair proceeded along the side of my '38. He placed himself squarely at the door handles, with both hands  grabbed each handle and pulled himself out of his chair so he could see inside. He weighed close to 300 pounds.

I no longer go to that show. 

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Most of the shows around here are 'hot rod' shows.  I seldom even attend any more.  They claim to be for everybody, but the attendees really go to look at the chrome and flash.  It has been 20 or so years now, but at  that time I was driving the 60 Electra as a daily driver to both work and play.  I went to the show and parked in the parking area.  I went in and looked around, had a burger, said hi to some people I knew and then left.  As I was heading to the car there were about a dozen people looking it over in the lot.  When I got there and said high and offered to talk a bit several of the older gents asked about the car and one of them asked why an obvious unrestored origional was not on the field.  My answer was jokingly....   why would I want to be a loaner on that field?  The guy said he understood compleatly and mentioned that was why he and his buddys came in his  truck and the Packard was at home in the garage.  I made a friend that day and was sorry when he passed 5 years ago.  The Packard now has a good home with his son somewhere in Kansas.  I do understand that cars are like people, some you like and some you don't, but everybody needs to try their best to get along.  I find it much easier to get along if I don't have to defend my cars and the decisions I have made about their care and feeding :).

Robin

Thinking on old-tank's post, I understand some of the folks in the hobby may be in it for recognition and awards, but for many of us, being able to get out and drive our old cars is a "win". 

At local events, I've often taken to making the quick rounds to seek out other Buicks and Buick owners, people I know, and take a few photos, then typically pull out a folding chair and hang out near my car to be able to answer questions and show things.

Recently, my wife and I were at a local cruise night with Spirit and Carmen.  Suzanne had parked the Electra far away, but since we had space beside Spirit and are members of the feature car club, I moved Carmen.  As soon as I got out, the DJ was all over me asking about the car since he couldn't figure out what it was. 

Guest Bishop55

That is a beautiful car, and I've had that same experience with some of my old cars. I've won trophies with cars that had no business winning, and I've been completely ignored in cars that should have at least been in the conversation. When I take a car to a show, I'm more interested in seeing the reactions of people that don't know what the car is, or to hear stories they have about a similar car, or to just talk with fellow vehicle enthusiasts. A trophy is nice, but I don't need it to validate my choice in cars.

I also bought my Buick because it was different (and beautiful of course) so I go in knowing it's not likely going to garner the drooling of a highly modified or prettied up tri five. To that I say, oh freakin' well!