ROA Annual Meet 2015 - St Charles IL

JZRIV

Here is a quick recap for those would could not make it. Another wonderful ROA International meeting. First, the skies cleared Monday as we began to arrive and stayed rain free all the way through Saturday for the drive home. Show day was simply spectacular with temps in the high 70s. The locals at the hotel were thrilled we brought dry weather with us since like much of the mid west and north east we have been in a monsoon season this year. 

The Pheasant Run Resort turned out to be an excellent location. Uncongested area, safe, yet plenty of excellent food and shopping very close by. I think most agreed while the hotel rooms were average, the large resort  had so much to offer as far as amenities and beautiful grounds that it more than made up for it. 

We had about 122 cars on the show field which puts it in the top 10% of meets as far as car attendance. There may have been a couple I missed on in the pic link due to late arrival. Awesome showing of 1st gen cars with around 22. Typical of an ROA event over 95 percent of the cars were driven to the meet!!! 

The last group of 11 cars with WC on the registration are Winner Circle cars. These are cars that have won 1st place or Best of Show in the past 3 years. They are removed from judging for a 3 year period but receive a special winners circle plaque if they return with the car. This offers others a chance to win as well as encourage past winners to bring their car back so they can be appreciated. Note the long distances some of these WC folks came. MA, WY, SC.

I'll continue to ad other pics from the week as I get them organized and or receive from others that want them posted to this link. Feel free to add your pics from the event to this thread.

Flip format

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/mark8man/library/ROA%20St%20Charles%20IL%202015

Slideshow Format

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/mark8man/slideshow/ROA%20St%20Charles%20IL%202015

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This was our first attendance at an ROA annual... we were blown away with how friendly everyone is and how helpful. Being the only 65 where we live it is a challenge to see how the car should be.. I learned so many things in two days... and saw some really beautiful cars from all the years. It was the longest road tip this car has seen in likely 30 years and it was smooth all the way - 825 total miles... about 13MPG..
We had a really good time... thanks to all who were on the organizing team! It was a great event!
Congrats to all the winners!
The McFadden's from Bright's Grove, Ontario

Edited by DesMc14 (see edit history)

Looks like a good turnout Jason, with some great weather and pretty fine examples of the Buick Riviera.

Thanks for posting some great pictures for the members who could not attend!

Like they say - "It's not the cars, it's the people !!

• Like 1

This was our first attendance at an ROA annual... we were blown away with how friendly everyone is and how helpful. Being the only 65 where we live it is a challenge to see how the car should be.. I learned so many things in two days... and saw some really beautiful cars from all the years. It was the longest road tip this car has seen in likely 30 years and it was smooth all the way - 825 total miles... about 13MPH..

We had a really good time... thanks to all who were on the organizing team! It was a great event!

Congrats to all the winners!

The McFaddens from Bright's Grove, Ontario

Bob, great meeting you....I hope you intended to write "MPG"!! That would be a looong trip otherwise...

Tom

Ron Williams drove his '63 from his home in Ely, NV to his ranch in Oklahoma before heading for St. Charles.  About 2,000 miles one way. Dallas to Williamsburg is around 1300 miles.  The longest long distance that I'm aware of is a trip from Nova Scotia to Monterey, CA in 2012; over 5,000 miles ONE WAY.  These cars are meant to be driven.  Gord in his '65 and me in my '64 are planning on 1200 miles one way from KS.

Ed

Can't take that many days off work to attend in the summer, but I'll go when it's closer to where I live.

Fly in, it`s worth the trip if enough cars are registered. That would have been a good option for this year`s meet as attendance was on the high side

Tom

Hi All,

Yes this was one of our larger meets and everything seemed to run smoothly. The Pheasant Run Resort was outstanding and the city of St Charles was a wonderful location with much to offer. The weather, cars and of course the people made it a great, fun filled week.  For those who have never attended an ROA meet, we do things differently. We reserve a 5,000 sq. ft. room where we gather and socialize all week from 9 am - 10 pm with events, food, drinks and even hot hors d'oeuvres in the evening.  We also  plan several tours to further enjoy the area. Our vendors are set up in the room, where they are part of the activities. Yes entrance to the room is limited to those who register to cover the cost of operation. But on Friday, during the show, the room is open and there is no charge. Paying for the banquet is not required to attend on Friday. 

The Best of Show was an outstanding '85 owned by Dave Jones from Rockford, MI.   The entire  list of award winners will be posted on the ROA web site later this week.

Next year we will be in Colonial Williamsburg, VA from June 27-30. It is also a great location with many attractions and plenty of history.

Ray Knott

Director ROA

Glad this year's show in St Charles went so well, particularly the weather!

Wish I could've been there during the show to see some of the cars, but it wasn't meant to be.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Take a trip to the city lights" __ Supertramp __ 'Take The Long Way Home'

Has the July-August Review been mailed yet?

Received mine yesterday.

Great meet!

Hats off to all those who worked so hard to present the meet and the members who showed their Riviera's.

Thank you Jason for posting the photographs.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

Adding this video taken by a local news station on show day. This is Al Schmidt with his STUNNING factory dual quad 64. This car won Best of Show at the ROA national in Branson MO a few years back. Al registered it as "display only" for this meet. Thank you for bringing it this year Al. A real treat for attendees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecr6O0y3-E

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We had a great time looking at all the great Rivieras on hand ...the most in one spot I had ever seen for sure !! Everyone was smiling as the weather was about as perfect as could be !! I will try and load a few pictures .....my son now understands that there are more people than just myself that are slightly obsessed with these cars !! Definite motivation to keep working on mine ! Hope to visit another annual meet in years to come , with my car this time .....

post-100864-0-78262200-1436735122_thumb.

post-100864-0-53841600-1436735166_thumb.

post-100864-0-22905700-1436735189_thumb.

post-100864-0-25893000-1436735238_thumb.

Does anyone know who owns the white  car with cool little trailer in above post pic? I know it had IL plates. I did not have this car in my pics on show day

Thanks

Mornin' Jason,

He is ROA #14238 - you can look him up on the roster ( I'm a little uncomfortable with

listing a members name without his knowledge or permission ).

He was one of a couple of cars ( sans trailer ) that arrived late to the show field after

all the first gen spots were already taken, and they were spotted on the access road

between the parking lots ( the road between the Rivs and Toros ).

Hope this helps,

Ed