Door handle locks on 55 Super

Tony M

Good morning all. Now, I am finally going to repair the locks on both the driver and passenger door handles. The passenger lock has never been operable with the key, at least since I have owned it . Now, the drivers door can not be opened or locked with the key. I put the key in and it does not engage the locks. Any pointers here to know what i can expect to run into would be appreciated. Thank you.... Tony M.

Good morning all. Now, I am finally going to repair the locks on both the driver and passenger door handles. The passenger lock has never been operable with the key, at least since I have owned it . Now, the drivers door can not be opened or locked with the key. I put the key in and it does not engage the locks. Any pointers here to know what i can expect to run into would be appreciated. Thank you.... Tony M.

How about TROUBLE... You can expect to run into a lot of trouble.  

Probably the biggest issue is getting the inner door panel off.  Assuming you know that, the rest is just trouble shooting the situation.  The passengers door is interesting though. Can you feel the key pushing the tumblers when it's inserted?  If not, have you tried some hot trans fluid as a lubricant when inserting the key? Maybe the cylinder will free up and save you the time to disassemble.

Does it happens with multiple keys?  Locks work ok from inside?  "Not engaging the lock" - what does that mean?  Key goes into lock cylinder and can turn in the cylinder but doesn't unlock the door, or key goes in the lock cylinder but key doesn't turn cylinder at all? 

x2 what John D said for lubrication.  Try rubbing some oil on the key too.  Also, you can blow some graphite into the key hole and see if that works.  Sometimes the tumblers can work rough.

Panels and interior handles can be frustrating but aren't too hard to get off with some practice.  Some cheap panel removal tools (the wide plastic type is fine, metal is better.  Also one of the door clip spring removal tools) and you can get the panels and handles off with care.  Actually, for the door and window handle clips my preference is a thin screwdriver with a "v" cut into the blade and the blade bent at a slight angle to get to the  engage the back edge of the clip.  Then pop the screwdriver handle with the palm of your hand.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)