Crankshaft Balancer removal

Felix

I have removed bolt OK but tried to use a large 3 jaw puller lightly but semed to bend due to the construction of the plates

I have removed solid ones. I am replacing seal due to leakage. Hoping no scoring on balancer shaft. Have spare on parts car.

Anyone have a easier job getting off  Sorry forgot 51 Roadmaster

Edited by Felix (see edit history)

Does the balancer have threaded holes to use a different type of puller?  Like this:

k2-_0c77dbd5-daf8-4177-a104-b23ecdd42c29

No holes present, I wish there was, any ideas. The plates are way to flexable with a large jaw puller

• 3 months later...

Felix,

Take your balancer to any large bearing supplier.  They will have a product called "speedi-sleeve" available from SKF.  If the correct size is available it is a quick low cost repair for seal surface dammage.

Good luck

R

PS: be extremly cautious if anybody tells you to build it up by welding and machining it down.  Balancers have a rubber bonding ring and can be easily dammaged by heat.

Edit:  see above :)

I really should finish my posts before pausing for dinner with the wife......  oops

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C (see edit history)

NAPA has a hub sleeve kit that I used on the snout of my nailhead.  Perhaps they have one for your straight eight.  Measure the O.D. and that may help them in finding the right one.  I scuff up the surface and then apply red locktite then press on with a shop press.  Tapping on with just a hammer can and has worked but you run the risk of a cock-eyed fit.  Then just peel off the ends as instructed in the kit.  Just some thoughts.

• 1 month later...