Seeking 1914 Model 25 Information

Akstraw

I am looking for some photos of a correct engine bay for a 1914 Maxwell Model 25 Roadster.  I recently purchased a fairly complete car, but the throttle and choke linkage have been modified over the years.  There is a small control lever on the drivers side of the firewall, with positions marled H, C, and S, but it is not connected to anything on the engine side.  Is this the original choke control? 

There also seem to be some components missing on either side of the engine block.  There are openings with two bolt holes; one below the water outlet on the left side, and one in the center of the valve cover on the right side.  It looks like a pipe elbow or something should bolt on, but I don't know what.  I would like to know what should be there. 

Again, photos of a correct engine and linkage set-up would be a big help.  If you have experience or expertise with this particular model, I would love to chat with you.  Thanks!

Andrew Straw

I think I now understand what has occurred with my car. I believe there was originally an updraft carb on the left side, which the fed the fuel/air mixture through a passage in the Block between 2 and 3 cylinders to the intake manifold on the right side of the engine. At some point, this was replaced with a side draft carb on the right side that fed directly into the intake. Because the side draft carb was higher than the original, a GG Vacuum system was added to supplement gravity to get the fuel to the new carb ( a Stromberg OF). I guess this required an aftermarket intake manifold, unless another, like a later Maxwell or a Model T bolted right on. This explains the nasty linkage (or lack thereof) to the throttle and choke on the right side; the car was originally designed with these on the left! I would still like to see a photo of what this would have looked like originally. Thanks for the private messages.