35 Studebaker

I have a 35 Studebaker Dictator. I had a head gasket go bad do to a slightly warped head. I had the head planed and would like to know if a copper head gasket or metal would be better. My block is cast iron. Who sells a good head gasket? Also what is the torque for the head bolts. I am a Studebaker Club member and will inquire there also. I have the manual but can't find the torque for the head bolts. This motor was rebuilt so the block was surfaced, don't know why the head wasn't. Thanks

Call Sandy Olson at Olson's Gaskets in Port Orchard, WA.  He'll supply the right gasket and can tell you the correct torque.  The manual doesn't show the torques because simple torque wrenches hadn't been invented in 1935.  See http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/.  Tel:  (360) 871-1207.  Sandy drives a beautiful Erskine.

The gasket type will depend on whether you have an aluminum head or a cast iron head.  Check your head casting number.  The cast iron head is 184012.

Most 1935 Dictators came with aluminum heads from the factory.

A lot of them were replaced with cast iron heads.

They take different head gaskets!

The 1935 Dictator engine was the last of the early Cole-Vail engines and these developed cracks.

The engine was redesigned in 1936 and Studebaker offered a really low price engine kit to

retrofit the earlier cars with the improved engines and these took a different head gasket.

Give us the engine number and head material and we can find you the correct gasket.

I also have a complete 1935 rebuilt engine for sale with aluminum head.

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Studebakerstore.com/Welcome.html

Robert Kapteyn