1953 Chevy 1/2 ton, want six and automatic, ?

I'm beginning the resurrection of our '53 Chevy pickup.  Want to go back with a six cylinder, it could be slightly newer (to get pressure oiling), but here's the question:

My wife wants to be able to drive the truck.  She can't physically do a stick shift any more.  How can I put an automatic transmission in it?  It will be down to bare frame, so I can add cooling lines and such easily.

What should I be looking for, in terms of what year automatic?  Supplier of parts to make the swap?  and other?  thanks

I think Chevrolet introduced the Hydra-matic in trucks in '54 and used the same one until '56. I don't know why that tranny wouldn't fit into a '53 if you can get all the mounting hardware also. You'll also need the complete Hydro-matic throttle linkage also. It might be a task to get it to fit and hooked up. Good luck! I think that the '54 auto's are getting scarce. 

• 1 month later...

I just happened upon your post so perhaps you have made a decision by now. The 53 GMC was both pressure oiled (yes, it was different than the chev) and offered with a nifty hydramatic if my memory serves me. Should be a seamless swap if you can find one. It's a good combo. We had one in the family for many years.