Powder coating gas tank - mistake?

Rogillio

I spend a few days trying to clean out 90 years of gas sediment from my gas tank.  I used degreaser, pressure washer, vinager, carburetor parts cleaner solution, filled with gravel and rocked back and for till my arms ached.  Finally I took it to a radiator shop and had it boiled and they used their pressure washer. When I was convinced it was a clean as it was ever gonna get, I took it in to have it powder coated semi-gloss black.  They sand blasted it to bare metal and applied the power coat material.  When I went pick it up it was still in the oven and the entire place stunk from whatever residue was still cooking inside the tank.

All was well until they took the tank out of the oven, and there was molten solder on the side of the tank that had melted out of the seam!  Evidently solder was used to seal and/or patch holes.  I don't know how hot the oven got but I've read powder coat at about 475 degrees.  I read that solder melts at about 450 degrees.  I don't know if the tank leaks or not as I am nowhere near ready to put gas in it.  There was not a lot of solder and I don't see any visible holes so I am hopeful.

The previous car's tank I sanded, primed and painted it.  I wanted this one to look better and be more durable.  Not sure that was such a good idea.  I'll find out if it leaks.  If it does, is there a sealant I can put on the inside of the tank to seal it?  I really don't want to mess up the beautiful powder coat finish.

As long as the tank is still out I'd coat the interior with POR-15.

I've used it on several occasions and it's fantastic stuff although if the interior is TOO clean you might need to rust it up a little.

http://www.amazon.com/POR-15-FUEL-TANK-SEALER-QUART/dp/B001NG8I8G/ref=sr_1_8/181-8317677-9302447?ie=UTF8&qid=1435013337&sr=8-8&keywords=por-15+fuel+tank+repair+kit

There's a lot of solder in the tanks.  The whole horizontal seam is soldered as are the end caps, the filler neck, gas gauge neck and drain sump. The baffle anchor studs are also soldered where they come through the tank.  I would be a little concerned about leakage.  

Edited by JayG (see edit history)

As long as the tank is still out I'd coat the interior with POR-15.

I've used it on several occasions and it's fantastic stuff although if the interior is TOO clean you might need to rust it up a little.

http://www.amazon.com/POR-15-FUEL-TANK-SEALER-QUART/dp/B001NG8I8G/ref=sr_1_8/181-8317677-9302447?ie=UTF8&qid=1435013337&sr=8-8&keywords=por-15+fuel+tank+repair+kit

It is back in but good tip. I can take it back for the POR 14.

Thanks!

Guest DodgeKCL

Actually the material used to seal gas tanks is called sloshing compound. Or at least it was at first. It was developed during WWII to seal areas in the wings of aircraft to make fuel cells without having to actually install a tank with the added weight. Much lighter. Anyways I use aircraft sloshing compound which you can buy at any small airport that has a parts store. It's better than any of the car hobby stuff because it has to be to be used in a certified aircraft. The term 'sloshing' came from the action that they would take to rotate the wing in all positions to make the liquid completely cover the inside of the wing. Great stuff. Covers up a multitude of sins. Especially since you've now compromised the solder joints. Even if it doesnt' leak now a joint could let go some year down the road ruining your day. I would seal it if it were me. In fact I would seal ANY of these old tanks just for the hell of it.      

A word regarding Aircraft sloshing solution now that methanol is being used in gasoline.

CAUTION: These products have been used for many years to seal aircraft fuel tanks. However, due to the recent increased use of automotive gasoline as an approved fuel for certain aircraft, Sloshing Sealer is recommended for use only in those fuel tanks using aviation or automotive gasolines that do not contain certain additives such as methanol. Use of fuels containing such additives could result in deterioration of the sealer, resulting in serious engine problems. If there is any question regarding your brand of fuel, please check with your gasoline supplier. Not approved for use in aviation fuel tanks.