Faircloth Buick - Tampa History?

Guest rozzi

Guest rozzi

I stumbled across this plate and thought it would be cool to hang in the garage.  Probably a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone might know some history as to this dealer?  I did a few internet searches, but didn't find much.  Thanks. 

post-138108-0-08765100-1434052670_thumb.

Edited by rozzi (see edit history)

OK Rozzi: I came to Tampa in June, 1969. There were Faircloth Buick front plates on the majority of old Buicks at the time. From what I could guess, Fairloth was an old school Buick dealer that had been there a long time and  I believe they sold out to Royal Buick who was the new dealership with the typical GM signature signs and showroom design. They were located on Dale Mabry near Tampa Stadium.

The Buccaneer was synonymous with Gasparilla Day, a big deal in Tampa.  That was a long time ago and I'm sure some Tampa natives can add lots more.   Mitch

• Like 1

Guest rozzi

Mitch,

Thanks for the reply and the info.  I appreciate it.  That helps out a lot as I was trying to get an idea as to the age of it. 

I moved to Tampa in 1984 and had not heard of them, so it appears they were in business prior to that. I am familiar with the other Buick dealers referenced in Google searches for " Faircloth Buick Tampa ".

I would say Faircloth evolved to Royal Buick, which then became Century Buick. Century is currently in business.

Anyway, that's a neat looking license plate!

Kevin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Guest suenfl

I don't have dates off the top of my head, but Giles Buick became Faircloth Buick. My grandfather worked for both Mr Giles and

Mr Faircloth. I met Mr Giles when I was a kid. I can say it was about 1927 or 1928, when my grandfather began working for Giles Buick.

Edited by suenfl (see edit history)

On May 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM, suenfl said:

I don't have dates off the top of my head, but Giles Buick became Faircloth Buick. My grandfather worked for both Mr Giles and

Mr Faircloth. I met Mr Giles when I was a kid. I can say it was about 1927 or 1928, when my grandfather began working for Giles Buick.

Thanks for sharing suenfl! Would love to hear any stories you might have about the dealership or Buicks in general. Do by any chance own a Buick now?  :)

On June 11, 2015 at 7:27 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Rozzi: I came to Tampa in June, 1969. There were Faircloth Buick front plates on the majority of old Buicks at the time. From what I could guess, Fairloth was an old school Buick dealer that had been there a long time and  I believe they sold out to Royal Buick who was the new dealership with the typical GM signature signs and showroom design. They were located on Dale Mabry near Tampa Stadium.

The Buccaneer was synonymous with Gasparilla Day, a big deal in Tampa.  That was a long time ago and I'm sure some Tampa natives can add lots more.   Mitch

The Buccaneer was also used in advertising Buick in '56 I believe, so perhaps Faircloth took advantage of that to use it on there license plate ads that year?