1938 Plymouth Clock for sale rare!

jcs2001

Hi There,

Can you tell me the diameter of this clock please? The '38 Plymouths only have two large diameter gauges, one for the speedo and the other is a 4 gauge cluster so I'm not clear on where this clock fits? How much are you asking?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg:  I do not know where it fits. my assumption was glove box but I wonder if there is a spot for it between the 2 big gauges...I think its pretty clear it fits the car based on the distinctive styling but I have not seen a picture on line that gives a clue.  price is 299.95

many thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. The glove box seems unlikely as the image shows but maybe it fit above the ashtray where the Plymouth ship is in this photo? What is the diameter?

post-83287-0-15870700-1433891067_thumb.j

Greg: No, i am certain it comes from 1938.  See Attached, my bible for guides to instruments and clocks

https://sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/home/clocks-1

interestingly, however I still have not seen a photo with a dash that has a clock..My best guess is that it was above the radio..This site shows the radio delete and perhaps there is a panel above that that is the clock delete??

best

Jim

Realizing now the ash tray is below the ship and perhaps the ship panel was the clock OR radio delete..Makes the most sense to me. diameter of exposed bezel is 2-1/2" note also that the bezel is excellent on this clock, the crimp marks visible in the photo do not appear through the mounting hole

Agreed, the spot below the panel with the ship is the ashtray. That's why I wondered about the diameter. If the clock is small enough it could fit in the panel where the ship is. The trick now is to find that panel that accepts the clock. Has to be rare.

Also, interesting site link you posted. I'm going to hang on to that one. I see they have a question mark listed along with the '38 Plymouth clock about location (Glove Box?)

If you look at the photo I've attached of a '38 Plymouth gauge cluster it appears to support your claim. On close inspection, the font of the numbers is very distinct. Check the angled cut on the top of the "1" and the square cut circles inside the zeroes. They seem to match with your clock.

hhmmmmm.....?

post-83287-0-75992800-1433916698_thumb.j

Jim,

I've combed every manual, brochure and bit of literature I can find regarding this clock. This is pretty obscure but I finally managed to find a reference to a clock for the '38 Plymouth. It is in the 1938 Plymouth Salesman Brochure. As you can see in the image it looks like Plymouth offered a mirror mounted clock. While it does look similar to yours at a glance, it appears different on closer inspection. Of course this could simply be due to an artist's rendition of the clock.

Now I'm wondering, as the clock you have is so similar to the Plymouth gauge look for '38, if it may have been for a '38 Dodge or Chrysler? Maybe one of the forum members more familiar with those lines can chime in?

Greg

post-83287-0-18075600-1433920691_thumb.j

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Greg: this clock could not have been a mirror clock, it is much too large and those clocks were almost always wind ups and were non -proprietary. The one shown looks very similar to a non-proprietary New haven clock that was sold as an aftermarket accessory and that I have seen many times for sale on e-bay. As for it being for a chrysler or Dodge, Those interiors and gauge designs were different upon checking "the bible". My best last guess is again, Glove Box. I notice that plymouth had glove box clocks prior to and after 1938...chrysler and dodge also offered them in that location. If glove box, as you suggest, the trick then is to find the glove box.

Jim

Good image. That does help clarify the fact that the clock did not fit the dash. Is your clock's adjuster on the back? If so, that would also tend to indicate glove box location.

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oops!sorry, missed that. Yes, they are different. The '38 door wraps all the way underneath the dash and has three nickel plated bars placed horizontally across the front. Its the placement of these bars that seems to be the confusion regarding clock placement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Keith Killips

Did someone ever solve this clock issue? It appears to be from a 38 PLYMOUTH like mine. They may not have been available as a factory order but we're available as a separate piece or with the correct door with hole and shortened chrome pieces. The doors came painted or woodgrained or a unique painted comb for convertibles.

I have a photo out of a magazine of a convertible dash with the clock installed.

Also P/N's for the clock and all the various doors.

Keith

Guest Keith Killips

Sorry for the pix quality but it's a foto of a foto. Believe the car to be P6 convertible which I think had painted dashes as opposed to woodgrained. This one appears to have a lighter coloured stripe across the door between the top and bottom of the 3 ss strips. Don't know if that was factory???

20170505_144431.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic. Never seen thar before. The clocks seem to come up from time to time but I believe they are almost worthless without the correct glove box door, which NEVER seems to be available.

Thanks HW, I'd really like to see this. My hand held just won't do it. I'll try it from my home computer when I get there.

Got it, hwellens, thanks for posting that is really great info and hard to find. Is this a complete catalog you possess?

hwellens, thanks for posting these couple of pages from your manual. I don't have a '38 at this time, but I know how fun it is for '38 owners to see these accessories. These manuals are fairly rare, so again thanks for taking the time to post these.

Agreed!

I have never seen this catalog before. If you ever decide to part with it I'm certainly a buyer. 

You know what I find really funny? The figures they have drawn to represent Precision, Quality & Economy. They have a Scottsman shown for Economy. It's a long running gag about their stereotypical "thriftiness". Simpler times no PC police. I love it! :lol:

Edited by Guest (see edit history)