57 Olds - Vapor lock

tentar

I am installing an electric fuel pump with a momentary switch to solve that problem on my car. Watch what you buy as far as fuel pressure as you can over power the float needle. Mount it near the fuel tank out of sight so no one will be the wiser.

You could also try a fuel return line to the tank. You start by buying a fuel filter that has the return built into it. I have one on my 63 Pontiac, and it's a factory set up, however it was only used on air conditioned cars. This is doable. The fuel is always moving recycled, plus the fuel from the tank is cooler.

FYI. Always check your engine oil before driving off. Some of the fuel pump diaphragms will succumb to fuel that has ethanol in it. When this happens it will fill your oil pan full of fuel and wash out your bearings. Isn't government grand???

http://www.pontiactripower.com/sites/pontiactripower.com/files/styles/large/public/1964-1966_Fuel_Filter_with_Ret_1.jpeg?itok=tJMRcd4l

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Make sure that the highest point in the total run of the fuel line (from front to back) is at the point that the lines enters the carburetor. In this case, that would be first carb it's connected to. If the fuel line is plumbed properly that shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes when guys make their own metal fuel lines, or especially when guys use neoprene line, they can end up with a high spot in the fuel line's path. That not the only cause of vapor lock, but it's an often overlooked one.

I used to drive a stock '56 Olds on a daily basis for a while (it was then just a junky car, not a collectible). Vapor lock was a problem on hot days. I solved the problem by wrapping the fuel line leading to the carb with aluminum foil. Seemed to solve the problem.