1930 64C motor issues

Guest Roj

Well bad news, my sleeves in my straight 6 are spider cracked between the 3,4,5 cylinders.  I don't think it can be welded, someone before me knew it, and used JB Weld on it to hide it, and obviously it didn't work.  It's way to nice of car to just junk the motor and make a hot rod, so does anyone out there have any parts or ideas?

sorry this is a 1930 64C Buick.

Edited by Roj (see edit history)

Not my area of expertise but cant you just put in new sleeves?  Lots of tractors and industrial motors used sleeves into the 50s one of the Buick guys should know an interchange?  I would think even having new sleeves made would be a lot easier than welding up the old ones.  Most likely someone is pulling a 1930 64C Buick engine as we speak to install a Chev 350, I have a list of at least 6 original Graham engines looking for a new home.

My guess is you have/had dirt/sand blocking the water jackets behind the sleeves at some time causing the overheating/cracking...

Good Luck!

Well the block needs to come out, and I am pulling it out now, the motor block is cracked and they put JB weld on it and painted over it.  I was told it had been completely rebuilt and it in fact has not.  I need a 29 or 30 block or complete engine for my car.  I'm not going to make it a hot rod and it is to nice to get rid of it.

Buick engines of that era are not too difficult to get. I see them from time to time. Get busy on the Buick forums and get the word out that the car needs to be saved and an engine must be acquired. Bodies rotted off of a majority of those cars. Chassis survive in fields for decades. I used to know of several in Califunny, but not anymore.

You will need to provide the details of engine model identification to people so they can check and find the right one for you (I know the '25 to '28 engines both Standard and Master. '29 and '30 are somewhat different, but I do not know those differences. Get that information and post it on the appropriate web threads.

Sounds like it is time to lick the wounds, roll up the sleeves, and get to fixing a new (old Buick) engine.

Also, let us know where you are. It will make a big difference in looking at available engines or shipping them home.

Good luck!

I am in Indianapolis Indiana, 1-317-372-9425.

if you go on U tube and look at the 1930 64C running video, that is the engine.  The guy supposedly rebuilt the motor, and the internals he did, he just used JB weld on the cracks on the outside of the engine and it was weeping a lot, then you ran the car for any period of time and it would overheat because the coolant was weeping out.  Why you would go to the trouble of rebuilding an engine and not doing it right is beyond me, but it's a great old car and needs saved.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I'm a little familiar with the history of that car as I've watch it change hands a few times. Since it's the same model and year as mine, I keep an eye open for these things. You're the third owner since the engine was allegedly rebuilt. I know Mark Shaw's son has a motor from a 40 series. Plus, he's a wealth of knowledge on these things. Mark is very active on the Pre-War Buick board.

Good luck with the car.

if you go on U tube and look at the 1930 64C running video, that is the engine.  The guy supposedly rebuilt the motor, and the internals he did, he just used JB weld on the cracks on the outside of the engine and it was weeping a lot, then you ran the car for any period of time and it would overheat because the coolant was weeping out.  Why you would go to the trouble of rebuilding an engine and not doing it right is beyond me, but it's a great old car and needs saved.

Thank you, it's ok, it's a great car and now it just needs to be fixed correctly.  The engine wasn't rebuilt, so after digging into it, that is what is going to happen to it.  I have a 31 Phaeton and this car and both are very good cars, this just needs some love and I'm going to give it to her.  I located a 30 block and we have started the tear down.  I have a mechanic here who is about 70 and VERY good with these year cars, so I am very lucky in that regard.

It is a bummer what some people do though. 

I'll hit Mark up and see if he can help out.