1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet (first made)

Guest brian2416

Guest brian2416

I have a very rare 1941 lincoln as the title states with letters from detroit where it was made, stating that it is the first one of that year built. This one was built by hand, before they started the assembly line for it. I have all the documentation but I have no idea what the actual value of this car is. The car runs, the motor is fine and the body is rust free with no dents but the top has been cut to pieces by the previous owners wife/girlfriend  :(  Someone please help me find the value of this beautiful car. I can give you more details and pictures as needed. - Brian

I would think the serial number would  reflect whether it is the first one built for that model year. Where did the papers come from?? Ford?? Some papers are good for lining bird cages. I see papers, all the time that, are notarized, as if that means anything. Notary Publics, at least here, are ID checkers.

Brian - As West said, we'd love to know more about your Lincoln and would certainly enjoy photos. Can you give us any more history? Maybe photos of the papers (and photos of the car)? This is probably the most professional and historically focused forum that you will find for answers to your questions. Please help us, help you.

Does everybody get the

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

error trying to open the photo albums, or is it just me?

I get the same message. The photos are too small to really see clearly, but cannot enlarge them by clicking on them.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I can see them.

I'm not sure if the "first one built" in the car's second year adds any value to the car. Once it has had a full complete and authentic type restoration completed, I believe it's value would be around $75,000 (maybe as high as $90,000). It appears to be a nice solid and mostly complete car (didn't see a radio, nor the air cleaner), so restoration would probably be relatively simple. Not knowing anything about its mechanical condition other than that the engine is free and that it starts, I would also assume that it's going to need an engine rebuild. My opinion, it's value is somewhere between $20-$30,000. Others may think much less.

• Like 1

After perusing your paperwork, I read that it is not the first one built in 1941. However, it is very, very hard to read that letter from Mr. Cole. Again, it really doesn't matter in my opinion. Also, there appears to be some thought that it may have been the car used for early publicity photos. That's kind of neat, too, but even if it could be proven, not a whole lot of added value except that you have some great original photos of the car available.

I think that if it were my car, the first thing I'd do is clean it up as well as I could. It might be possible to use "as is," with a new top. I can't tell from the photos or the paper work if that is original paint on the car. If it is, that would make me want to keep it un-restored all the more. If your idea is to sell the car, I wouldn't do any restoration other than to make it run and stop. Any money spent other than that, would be money down the drain, and would possibly hurt the desirability of it for the future buyer.

Guest brian2416

everyone has permission now, sorry i had the photos set to friends only. It now has public settings. First time here guys lol. Please take a look at the letter, they are high definition photos so if u can zoom in, its very very high quality and you should be able to read the letter from the LCOC back in 1981.

Guest brian2416

And thank you West for the information. I wish there was some other photo viewer that would allow you to zoom in on the photo. I can open it on my computer and see the fine dust specs lol.

Guest brian2416

the interior is very rough, its pretty nasty but the body is, in my opinion, great shape. Needs to be sanded and painted by a professional, the crank turns, hasn't been run in years

Guest brian2416

i have a video but this forum won't allow me to post it due to the size, so if anybody is interested in more detail, i guess add me to facebook and i can post the videos there, or youtube i suppose, just let me know

Guest brian2416

all 4 videos are being uploaded, standby for the link. Mr. Peterson, you and another fella explained to me that the history adds no added value. I find that hard to believe but at the same time, i know you folks are VERY experienced in this field and know what you are talking about. The publicity photos, the fact that for 2.5 weeks, this was the ONLY 41 convertible in existence, etc...  That HAS to add some sort of value to "some folks" that find this car as special as I do right? Maybe not Kelly Blue Book value but do you know what I'm trying to say? Am I way off or just missing something?

Guest brian2416

and if anyone wants to speak with me directly, hit me up in a private message. my name is Brian, we live in rural Pennsylvania. Its crazy some of the antiques you can find out here in the middle of nowhere and this state is full of so much history, i love it out here.

Edited by brian2416 (see edit history)

Guest brian2416

Haha yes it is Mr. Bleach, sounds like you hate scammers as much as i do. Im a southern oregon boy, actually im originally from orange county, southern cali. I moved here to PA with my wife, the oregon phone number is all i have left from oregon. ANyway, here are the videos ;)

vid1    

vid2    

vid3    

vid4    

Edited by brian2416 (see edit history)

Never tried to imply you were a scammer Brian. These days folks can have phone numbers with no relation to where they actually live.

Btw, I'd suggest editing out your phone numbers and only respond through the forum's private message system with personal contact info. Otherwise you may you develop an opinion of scammers worse than mine.

Guest brian2416

I live in Hegins, PA 17938 and there is a pic of the title, yes it is a good, clean PA title.

The serial # on your title is H107688 which would be the second #  for 1941. Yours could still be the first convertible built if the first # were assigned to, say, a coupe. I wouldn't use the term "hand built". Far more likely it was the first convertible off the assembly line.

Interesting, Im not certain of the serial #, but Wendle Wilke toured Sylvania / Toledo ohio in late summer 40, in a 41 Cabriolet like yours..

You need to take a visit to Benson Ford Research center, look at production records..for additional notes...see zephyr club TWOTZ a couple years ago for pics..