1965 Riviera Restoration, Differential Fluid Level, Break in Procedure

RockitRiviera

I'm about to install the rear diff back to the frame.  I haven't put any fluid in it yet.  But when I was looking at it today...the fill spout is very low.  It doesn't seem to be enough if I just fill it to level.  Should I tip the differential back to fill some more?  Just curious...and is there a break in procedure?

post-100155-143142951398_thumb.jpg

All the hot rod guys think that running a Ford 9" rear end or a GM "12 bolt" rear end is about as beefy as you can get.  The ring and pinion in your first generation Rivieras is a 9-3/8" 14 bolt unit.  Pretty stout.

I agree, the bearings are prelubed and sealed...the seals are inboard...but I thought they needed some lube.  I'm sure the guy who rebuilt the rear end lubed them up.  I had to replace those seals because they were spun out.  We had to have a machinist build them as there are no replacements available

• 7 years later...
On 6/1/2015 at 11:15 AM, RivNut said:

All the hot rod guys think that running a Ford 9" rear end or a GM "12 bolt" rear end is about as beefy as you can get.  The ring and pinion in your first generation Rivieras is a 9-3/8" 14 bolt unit.  Pretty stout.

I agree. I'm in need of a taller gear ratio for my 64 Buick Riviera. Looking for posi too. Any help locating a 9 3/8" would be greatly appreciated. 

11 hours ago, MDG said:

I agree. I'm in need of a taller gear ratio for my 64 Buick Riviera. Looking for posi too. Any help locating a 9 3/8" would be greatly appreciated. 

The most readily available "tall" gear is a 3:42. If you want an even taller gear Buick made available others for the 9 3/8ths rear but the most likely you will find is a 3:91...but "likely" and "3:91" are not synonymous terms.

Tom Mooney