Crescent Carriage Company - Calling Card Tray - Seeking Info

Hi,

I am hoping to learn more about a piece I recently acquired - a tray with advertising for the Crescent Carriage Company in Pontiac Michigan. The seller indicated that the item is a calling card tray.

This is made of a thin / very light metal (I think aluminum or possibly tin). I have only been able to find limited information about the Crescent Carriage company and have not been able to locate any similar items. Does anyone know if this is original the early 1900s as a promotional item from the company, or something created later? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike.

post-124413-0-49401900-1433101564_thumb.

post-124413-0-98021400-1433101568_thumb.

post-124413-0-15387200-1433101575_thumb.

• Like 1

Looks pretty clean for such an old item (allegedly)   I don't know why anyone would reproduce (or fake) such an item, but the early calling-card trays I'm familiar with were made of spelter or cast bronze.  I am not ready to prounouce it a reproduction but I'm not sure it's a genuine antique item.  One thing that is of concern to me is the printing itself.  Would have expected lithography rather than what appears to be another printing method (screen printing?).  Perhaps some other "experts" can comment on that aspect of it.  Meantime, call me cautiously curious for now.

Terry

Thanks for the insights!

@TerryBond, those were my thoughts as well. It doesn't look quite right to be early 1900s, but it also seems like such a bizarre item to re-produce or fake. I didn't pay much and purchased this out of curiosity. Even if not early 1900s, it might still have a story and does seem to have some age to it. By the way, I love the MGB in your profile picture!

I do know that condition can sometimes be deceptive when judging authenticity - I have original sales brochures from the early 1900s that are absolutely pristine by luck of being stored since new in envelopes, under other items, etc. Conversely, a 20 year old reproduction could have similar wear / damage to something much older.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it would be interesting to locate an actual Crescent carriage. I wonder how closely it would resemble a Brush automobile, if in any way at all. Perhaps some parts interchangeability? I'd like to know exactly where the plant was located in Pontiac. If nothing else, at least your item stirs some curiosity!