Who made the first Four Wheel Drive Truck??

nick8086

Guest Rp1967

I read that they sold FWD trucks to the Government for ww1 , so I just guessed they were first.

Good trivia question

First four wheel drive truck is the year 1900 and it's a Jacob Lohner / Porsche design with four wheel electric motors. The truck is what we call a hybrid using a internal combustion engine driving a generator supplying electrical power to the electric motors in each wheel hub. This concept was further used later by Porsche to build his centipede wagons connecting as many as ten wagons all with a electric motor on each of the ten wagons wheels to the one truck which they are tethered together using the trucks power supply for all wagons.

In 1903 Damler/Benz used mechanical Four wheel drive in all types of vehicles.

Note there is a Dutch company ( Jacobus Spyker Co.) that has a four wheel drive in 1902, but it is a car, not a truck.

Clintonville, WI, home of the FWD, is only about 30 miles away from me.

Jeffery (Nash) didn't get into the 4 wheel drive business till 1913.

FWD built the first FWD automobile in 1909 which was nicknamed the Battleship.

I worked on the two spark magneto for that car........it was by luck I found a man in Nevada who would wind a new coil for it.

2362577.jpg?1393468406

The company history is there >>> http://www.fourwheeldrivefoundation.com/the-museum

• Like 1

Clintonville, WI, home of the FWD, is only about 30 miles away from me.

Jeffery (Nash) didn't get into the 4 wheel drive business till 1913.

FWD built the first FWD automobile in 1909 which was nicknamed the Battleship.

I worked on the two spark magneto for that car........it was by luck I found a man in Nevada who would wind a new coil for it.

2362577.jpg?1393468406

The company history is there >>> http://www.fourwheeldrivefoundation.com/the-museum

It's not before the FWD vehicles I mentioned and it's not a truck like the author asked for.