All-in-one Perfex Spark Plug Information

zipdang

Another find from my wife's aunt's grandfather's chest (he was a boat builder in Massachusetts) is this device. From what I've found out, it is a  spark plug, condenser, induction coil, vibrator, etc. An ad from 1912 Motor Boating calls it the All-in-one waterproof solution for marine boats - especially rescue boats. I was wondering if this was also used in the automotive world and whether it has any value or use to someone out there. It's cool, but I really don't need it sitting on a shelf!

post-153309-0-70544800-1432919325_thumb.

post-153309-0-76782900-1432919327_thumb.

post-153309-0-02258200-1432919331_thumb.

They probably saw little automotive use, but who knows ? I am sure it would be of  interest to quite a few spark plug collectors. It looks to be in very nice condition. I don't recall ever seeing another one.

Greg in Canada

Thanks for posting such good pics.  It is indeed a water-proof Perfex coil plug.  The coil and plug are contained as a single unit and the most common use was in motorboat engines.   They were also used in some slow running oilfield engines, or in any application where wet ignition was a potential problem. There was very limited use of this in automotive applications, however in the early 1900s Bosch developed their Honold plug-coil sytem that used a make-and-break type mechanism.  These saw short-term use in some of the earlier Mercedes cars.  It's something spark plug collectors love to find.  I've got a few different examples in my own collection but not this particular example, so would love the change to add it to my collection.  You can email me at terryaaca@cox.net and we can figure out how to give it a new home if you wish. 

thanks again,

Terry