Need info 31 Dodge Brothers truck

Guest brandx

Guest brandx

I have a truck that the title says it's a 1931 truck. A lot of people that look at it ask if it's a 1929. I guess the title could be wrong.

Also the radiator cap is missing and I don't know what I'm looking for, although the radiator shell has an oval hole and the radiator neck has three slots for a three prong cap. I cant find a picture or info of what to look for.

post-153535-0-71905000-1432909730_thumb.

post-153535-0-24353100-1432909734_thumb.

Your truck looks like it's a 31 or 32 model. In order to identify it we would need more information. What's the wheelbase and frame number ? Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder ?  More photos of both sides of the engine along with interior dash photos will help further identify it.  

Looks to be in very good condition...nice truck . What are your plans for it ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest brandx

I don't find a frame number. Where do I look?

The wheel base is 136 inches

The engine is a six with pad numbers in attached photo

post-153535-0-17221300-1432927654_thumb.

post-153535-0-55676600-1432927656_thumb.

post-153535-0-14206600-1432927658_thumb.

post-153535-0-72322600-1432927659_thumb.

post-153535-0-13244500-1432927661_thumb.

post-153535-0-53070700-1432927662_thumb.

post-153535-0-88283300-1432927663_thumb.

post-153535-0-98014700-1432927664_thumb.

Yep, that's a 31 F30..

Beautiful find !!!!!! Please keep it original. Some of the parts on your truck are interchangeable with my truck.  I've been looking two years so far for some items just to give you an idea of the jewel you have.

Frame number should be located on the driver's side, outer frame rail in between the front axle and the bumper just to the right of the area you already scrubbed when you searched for it. Should be faint stamping with a letter starting with D, S ,or possibly E followed by six digits.

D stands for made in Detroit, E stands for made in Evansville IN, S stands for made in Stockton CA

Here's some original literature of your truck:

post-112232-0-61623600-1432953183_thumb.

post-112232-0-55088800-1432953197_thumb.

Guest brandx

Will I be able to find a radiator cap here, like the one in the picture? I have searched eBay and craigslist with no luck. I can drive the truck with a wrong two tab cap but it doesn't seal and water gets all over.

They do come up for sale from time to time but you just have to be patient for these rare parts.

I've seen them at local swap meets & Ebay maybe twice a year. Average cost on one could range between $50-250 depending on condition. Now that we know you need one we will be keeping our eyes out for one.

Here are some good resources for Dodge Brothers owners:

http://dodgebrothersclub.org/

http://romardb.com/

http://myersearlydodge.com/

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Dodge.htm

Another option for parts is a board member here that goes by screen name "countrytravler "

Here is his contact info:

Phone-209-613-1199

Email-dave@dodgecityvintage.com

Location-Jamestown Ca. 95327 (USA)

I notice with the correct cap on my DA I was still getting overflow remove radiator and had it cleaned

it wasn't getting hot just overflowing

I had remove thermostats

Didn't help

Another member with a lot more knowledge then me

Td me it has to have thermostat and not overfill

Don't know if normal but it works

Such as?

Your gas tank may be located under your seat. From there you should have a fuel line that runs to a vacuum fuel canister mounted on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment. The fuel then filters from the canister to the carbie for proper combustion. The duct set up that is currently installed is a bit dangerous and totally incorrect if your going to restore it to original.

See pic below for a visual. The vacuum fuel canister you will need is called a Stewart or Kingston depending on what came with your truck originally.

post-112232-0-06951300-1433004318_thumb.

I can drive the truck with a wrong two tab cap but it doesn't seal and water gets all over.

My DB manual says to fill the radiator to 3" below the top. If I put more than that in, it just comes out until that is the level when cold. When hot, I expect the water level is near the top.

It should have an overflow tube from just under the cap to take any excess so it doesn't come out the cap.

Guest brandx

I'll take a look at that this afternoon. Also look for the frame number. I have had the tank out and checked it. It was extremely clean. The gas lined feed out of the tank on both bottom sides due to hump in the tank for driveline clearance. The line goes under the driveline to the frame then follows the frame to the pump. then through the filter to the carb. I thought the tubing and clips looked original--but that's why I'm here.

Dennis

Guest brandx

Spinneyhill,

I'm sure you are right. The temporary cap I have ( lost on last drive) didn't fit down in the oval shape of the shell very well. Also I'm loosing water out of my pump packing. Tightening the packing worked only for a while. I need to repack it soon.

post-153535-0-59535100-1433016683_thumb.

Just a thought....have you changed that fan belt, yet? It looks pretty bad in the photo. I have had good luck at getting them from tractor supply houses.

Guest brandx

Just a thought....have you changed that fan belt, yet? It looks pretty bad in the photo. I have had good luck at getting them from tractor supply houses.

Not since 1931.

Short answer is no. When reviewing original Ross Roy salesman literature (see post #7 for scans) it shows a totally different look for the bumper medallions.  

F-30 has an upside down triangle shaped bumper medallion (when viewing large enhanced photos they are clearly different).

F-31 has a circular shaped bumper medallion. So, in short, the Victory Six medallion is completely different than any of the trucks that I've seen and the part numbers may validate that if you would like to compare with your Vic Six literature.

If you would like to provide the part number for your Victory Six medallion I will be happy to compare once I receive more F30, F31 and UF30 parts numbers. I have some parts books for these models on back order and should be arriving next week sometime and will post #'s as soon as they arrive (assuming that information is provided in the books).

Your gas tank may be located under your seat. From there you should have a fuel line that runs to a vacuum fuel canister mounted on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment. The fuel then filters from the canister to the carbie for proper combustion. The duct set up that is currently installed is a bit dangerous and totally incorrect if your going to restore it to original.

See pic below for a visual. The vacuum fuel canister you will need is called a Stewart or Kingston depending on what came with your truck originally.

This engine has a fuel pump located next to the carb. Divers side engine photo shows it clearly. Also I noticed the information tag in a picture under the dash board. Lots information.

Great truck. I bet it has some need history also. This is a true survivor.

Guest brandx

Didn't find the frame numbers yet. I wonder if they are under the fender to frame bracket. It's the only thing in the way on the driver side between the axle and front spring mount. As for parts--the links above were a dead end. Very limited parts and nothing listed for a 31 DB truck.  Emailed the guy you suggested above,  and he replied that he is 40 and up. I did find another forum that has a currant add for a 1930 DB truck to part out. The add said to call at phone number 631 645 0707. The guy that answered said he doesn't have an old truck. wrong number. Another dead-end. I placed a few craigslist want ads in my area.

Guest brandx

Shouldn't be an issue. The last time it was titled in 1960 -- it has the serial number of the engine stamp. I have found that common in several vehicles I have owned. I have owned early jeeps and early 40's military vehicles titled that way also. I just retitled my 1937 Willy's jeep to match the frame tag and not the engine. Although DMV here acknowledges both.