Fuel gauge

bob duffer

Had this issue with my 72 skylark. There are a few things to check. Year make and model would be helpful.

http://www.chevyclassicsclub.com/the-gm-fuel-gauge-mystery-1965-newer/

I know it's 65 or newer but gives a good bit of insight.

Did this occur recently or has this been a problem since you have owned the car?

My car read past full, it was a bad sending unit.

But I was able to check by disconnecting the fuel sending unit wire in the trunk and grounding it out the needle dropped to E and I knew the tank had to come out.

73 chevy truck I had was doing that the fuel sending unit wire was pinched on the trans cross member causing a false reading.

I hate dropping the tank of any vehicle but if you do the above checks (with the service specs of your car) and the guage goes to E then you will most likely have to drop the tank to inspect the ground and sending unit.

What kind of car is it?

It does make a difference, some cars in the 30s and 40s had a two wire setup and helpful things like "disconnect the wire at both ends" may be insufficient to debug the problem.

Most cars use a variable resister in the sending unit to ground the gauge.

One side of the gauge is "hot" the other side goes to the sending unit.

In many incidents when to gauge goes to full the wire to the sending unit has been shorted to ground.

Your gauge may also have an internal short.

I take it you have tried tapping it on the side to see if it is just stuck.

Try reversing the polarity and see if the needle moves back to empty.

If it moves to empty then reverse the wires again and see if it goes past full or stops at 3/4s again.

Bob, Sounds like the needle movement twisted when the needle went to full. The gauge's needle should rest at EMPTY with no connections to it. Either replace it with a used gauge applicable for your Buick or send it to a gauge repair shop. I know Wolf is one vendor mentioned here in the Forum. More importantly is why the gauge went to full. Looks like the the sending unit has separate  connections, one to ground and the other to the gauge. If you have access to a Volt Ohm Meter, use the resistance scale and measure the resistance as you manually move the float from one extreme to the other. Common problems are the metal arm that glides across the winding loses contact at certain spots or the winding itself broke (wore down). PM me if you need more help. 

• 1 month later...
Guest MORRISGAUGE

It is important to check your wiring before assuming repair, but yes, your gauge appears to require service. I would assume that you are still 6 volt? Also, 9/10 times the sender has issues due to the environment that it is subjected to vs the gauge. Both units need to be well grounded.

www.morrisgauge.com